Thread: x1950 XT ubuntu 9.10 - which driver?

Default x1950 XT ubuntu 9.10 - which driver?

I can't use the ati/amd closed source driver anymore, since ati dropped support for the r5xx series.

lspci gives me this information:

07:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc R580 [Radeon X1900]
    07:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 7264

But i've got a x1950 xt, so I'm not sure if it's using the right drivers...

My question: which drivers should I use? I've read something about KMS, but I'm not sure what it is, and if/how I should use it.

The ATI Radeon drivers Ubuntu 9.10 installs by default should be the correct ones for your X1950xt.

I say should be because Ubuntu 9.10(beta) is giving me a lot of trouble on other fronts right now and I'm not able to test it against my system with the X1950xtx. I don't think it's anything major (and likely to sort itself over the next couple of update cycles) but I just haven't had time to work through it, yet.

I hope so, but a few months ago I was using 9.04, and it also listed my card as a x1900 :/ Anyway I don't experience any trouble, I just wonder if I'm using the best drivers available.

Quote Originally Posted by Jochemd View Post
    I hope so, but a few months ago I was using 9.04, and it also listed my card as a x1900 :/ Anyway I don't experience any trouble, I just wonder if I'm using the best drivers available.
    the only diverend 1900/1950xt is the GPU/ram MHZ speed.

but the driver do not set this !...

the atombios set this speed.... and the radeon use the atombios!

X1900 was fine because atombios set the "speed" and the radeon driver give you full features by support X1900 .

in fakt 1950xt do not have more features again (not speed) the 1900 so all is fine.

Yep. From a driver POV the 1900 and 1950 are basically the same.

The main difference between the two is that the 1950 (r580+) includes support for the faster GDDR4 memory chips.

Quote Originally Posted by Jochemd View Post
    I've read something about KMS, but I'm not sure what it is, and if/how I should use it.
    you can try out KMS on your card by adding this line to your boot options in grub:
    Code:
    radeon.modeset=1
    This also enables DRI2, so you get redirected (composited) 3D. Works well on my X1600.