Thread: System Recommendation

Default System Recommendation

Nice forum!

I am basically composing a linux system on which I will tinker with misc open source GIS and cartography software. (I am planning to map the world) This will require some oomph as lots of data is freighted around, however I am still on a low budget (less than ?500) as this is just for hobby purposes.

Having learned my lesson the hard way getting the supposedly ?linux compatible? EPIA M10000 to run smooth I am now going to consult the experts:

What is in your opinion the best pile (MOB,CPU,GPU) balancing speed, value and linux compatibility?

To help you on the way:

AMD X2 4600+ (AM2) vs. Intel Core 2 Something
    Best motherboard for the above
    Good performance drives, will a raid0 improve speed given file sizes of max 1Gb
    Good performance GPU

Thank you for any replies in advance.
    Cheers,
    Christian

Welcome to the forums.

?500 = ~$640 USD

Here's just a couple parts considering your budget needs, and should pack enough power for your processing needs.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
    Motherboard: Abit AW9D

The Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3250620AS 250GB drives are very nice, and will only set you back about $80 USD.

Do you have any ATI/NVIDIA preference? There is also the open-source option of going with a motherboard that has onboard Intel 965G graphics.

It seems like the E6300 gives the best value for money these days, price/performance of the AMD 64 X2?s is not even close. The Abit AW9D motherboard is still fresh on the market and it would be nice to read a few more reviews before deciding. But from reading the review of the AW8 on the phoronix webpage it looks promising.

I have not any preferences on videocards? just need out-of-the-box Linux support. Does anyone have a specific card to recommend?

Thanks again for any replies to my questions ? my knowledge on the hardware side is a bit limited but I am learning?

Cheers,
    Christian

The ATI X1800XT and NVIDIA 7900GT are two choices that may fit your price range, and offer respectable performance under Linux.

One day I'll reach Alaska, or die trying!

Lightbulb Idea...

I'm an nvidia guy, and for good reason. Trust me, once you get an nvidia GPU, you'll never go back to another manufacturer.