Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" Officially Released

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,321

    Default Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" Officially Released

    Phoronix: Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" Officially Released

    Just as planned, Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" has been officially released this morning. Additionally, 9.10 Karmic releases of Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu, Mythbuntu, and Ubuntu Studio are also available...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzY1MQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Germany/NRW
    Posts
    510

    Default

    I'm downloading the Kubuntu amd64 torrent right now and will give it a try with kvm and/or live. If it's solid I might give it to a friend who's lately become interested in Linux after seeing KDE.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI, USA
    Posts
    862

    Default

    Currently doing a network update of my personal webserver/subversion repository box, and simultaneously downloading a copy of the x64 ISO for later use. If my mythbox were responding to ssh connection requests right now, I'd be tunneling through to my desktop to try that too.

    Oh well. I guess it's probably for the best that I can't do them all at once, just in case something breaks

    Here's hoping that the r600 3D is easier to keep updated, (using xorg-edgers instead of hand-compiling my kernels).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    57

    Default

    What is missing in Karmic for 3D (on r600)? DRM too old? Mesa too old? Radeon too old?
    I'd like to fix that, because i was quite happy with 3d on Jaunty...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    12

    Thumbs up

    Woo hoo!

    Congrats to everyone involved (Ubuntu, Debian, Gnome, KDE, Linux, ...). I have been using it for a few weeks now and really like it. Boot up performance aside, the desktop experience is a lot snappier.

    There are still a few rough edges (such as DVD/CD tray eject not working), but overall well done. These should be ironed out in a while, though.

    Looking forward to Lucid (and hoping that it takes advantage of CUSE/OSSP support in recent kernels to offer a better experience with OSS-based applications).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Exodus hair
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boerkel View Post
    What is missing in Karmic for 3D (on r600)? DRM too old? Mesa too old? Radeon too old?
    I'd like to fix that, because i was quite happy with 3d on Jaunty...
    For me, totally upgraded from xorg-edgers it is just to add 2.6.32 kernel from, for example http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...daily/current/ ...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI, USA
    Posts
    862

    Default

    I was planning on just using xorg-edgers (for libdrm/xorg-driver-ati/mesa) and their drm-snapshot kernel from now on. I believe that should be sufficient, but I haven't tried it yet.

    From what I believe I've read, the stock Karmic kernel doesn't have the DRM bits for r600, and as a result drm/mesa/xorg-driver don't have support for it. But given the xorg-edgers PPA, it should be really easy to get everything working (I had been using this PPA in Jaunty with a hand-compiled kernel from Linus' linux-2.6 tree).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Veerappan View Post
    I was planning on just using xorg-edgers (for libdrm/xorg-driver-ati/mesa) and their drm-snapshot kernel from now on. I believe that should be sufficient, but I haven't tried it yet.

    From what I believe I've read, the stock Karmic kernel doesn't have the DRM bits for r600, and as a result drm/mesa/xorg-driver don't have support for it. But given the xorg-edgers PPA, it should be really easy to get everything working (I had been using this PPA in Jaunty with a hand-compiled kernel from Linus' linux-2.6 tree).
    You should use the Kernel 2.6.32 (prereleases) from the Ubuntu Mainline PPA: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

    @topic: What a great release! Nice one, devs!

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhdunn View Post
    There are still a few rough edges (such as DVD/CD tray eject not working), but overall well done. These should be ironed out in a while, though.
    It works in KDE. Tested in Kubuntu and Arch Linux

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Exodus hair
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Veerappan View Post
    I was planning on just using xorg-edgers (for libdrm/xorg-driver-ati/mesa) and their drm-snapshot kernel from now on. I believe that should be sufficient, but I haven't tried it yet.

    From what I believe I've read, the stock Karmic kernel doesn't have the DRM bits for r600, and as a result drm/mesa/xorg-driver don't have support for it. But given the xorg-edgers PPA, it should be really easy to get everything working (I had been using this PPA in Jaunty with a hand-compiled kernel from Linus' linux-2.6 tree).
    No, You need 2.6.32 in order to get 3D. At least on my machine (ATI HD3650)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •