Thread: Confused over bleeding edge drivers

Default Confused over bleeding edge drivers

Hi,

I'm trying to run a 2.6.32 RC kernel (as my vaio has some new support) and assumed that newer=>better must also apply to the intel modules. In practice, I lose hardware acceleration in X.
    When it comes to drivers and X I have always been confused about how much is in the kernel and how much is in xserver-xorg-video-intel.

Can someone explain to me what the kernel modules do and what the xserver-xorg-video-intel packages do, how they are related and, most importantly, what versions will work togther?

Regards,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by mrtom852 View Post
    Hi,650 2530001

I'm trying to run a 2.6.32 RC kernel (as my vaio has some new support) and assumed that newer=>better must also apply to the intel modules. In practice, I lose hardware acceleration in X.
    When it comes to drivers and X I have always been confused about how much is in the kernel and how much is in xserver-xorg-video-intel.

Can someone explain to me what the kernel modules do and what the xserver-xorg-video-intel packages do, how they are related and, most importantly, what versions will work togther?

Regards,
    Tom
    Hi Tom,

I don't know how to explain you different parts work together, but I can tell you which are those parts:
    2D driver: xf86-video-intel
    3D driver: mesa 7.6 release
    Kernel
    libdrm
    x-server xorg

Every quarter Intel releases a "graphics package". This is no more than recommended versions of the above which work together. As a rule of thumb, if you use the versions they recommend or higher, you're fine. The latest recommendation is for Q3 and can be found here http://intellinuxgraphics.org/2009Q3.html

I'm using the versions recommended in the link above (apart from the kernel, which is 2.6.31.6) and I'm very happy with its performance. I would not recommend you to use RC kernels - wait a bit more till their out officially.

I've been tracking intel driver updates in the kernel since .29 and I can tell you that while the difference between .29, .30 and.31 is HUGE but the difference between .31 and .32 is minimal, mostly suspend/restore and powersaving tweaks.

See http://intellinuxgraphics.org - under Download you will see the quarterly releases which are bundles of recommended versions.

Roughly, initialization/modesetting is done in kernel, 2D functions in the -intel DDX and 3D in mesa (talking to the card through the drm component in the kernel). Over the latest releases, more and more was moved to the kernel.

Hi guys,

Sorry for the late response, I am currently without internet at home(!).

The links provided have cleared a lot up. I was able to install the newer xorg drivers in Debian and it works.

Thanks.
    Tom

Default Confused over bleeding edge drivers

I have Intel original DG33 FB Motherboard.

I need the ICH9 compatible Drivers for my motherboard for F6 installation for XP 32bit.

tried a lot ...but could not able to find it...
    Plz can someone help me .....tell me exact location where can i get the compatible drivers.

even i am confused with ICH9 / ICH9R //.....
    Which one is for my MOBO???

thanks
    AH