Page 114 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1167

Thread: AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux

Wow, this thread has drifted way off-topic! Anyway Michael was right after all they are finally going to officially release UVD at the end of this month with the Catalyst 11.1 release. I found some internal slides, and apparently it's going to be a real winner. They say it wins hands down on features compared to NVIDIA's vdpau solution.

Nah, just a stupid joke just like fglrx is a big joke. Sad, but I think I'll just have to face the facts: ATI/AMD on Linux is going nowhere and will always be a problematic solution. I have wasted enough time waiting for AMD to get their act together, next card will be an NVIDIA card.

Quote Originally Posted by energyman View Post
    except when they land in /usr/lib32 where they belong.
    No, /usr/lib32 is a Debian/Ubuntu aberration. The standard location for 32-bit libraries on a bi-arch amd64 system is /usr/lib as on x86. /usr/lib64 is for 64-bit libraries. /usr/lib32 is usually for enhanced 32-bit binaries like you have on mips for N32 binaries. O32 remaining in /usr/lib and N64 go to N64.

Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post

Nah, just a stupid joke just like fglrx is a big joke. Sad, but I think I'll just have to face the facts: ATI/AMD on Linux is going nowhere and will always be a problematic solution. I have wasted enough time waiting for AMD to get their act together, next card will be an NVIDIA card.
    Hey, Evergreen support broke again in 11.1 drivers? So, it was fixed only for one to two Catalyst releases? I don't even want to try...

Quote Originally Posted by gbeauche View Post
    No, /usr/lib32 is a Debian/Ubuntu aberration
    and gentoo..

btw, when will it possible to compile&install your stuff with a different libtool version than the one used by ubuntu?

@monraaf

The chart is not fully correct when you try to use the vdpau accellerated flash. Then it is possible to see vdpau caused corruptions (even gpu lockups with a bit older drivers) especially when you use Xserver 1.4 (Debian Lenny). You see the famous Xid errors in system log then, running a fullscreen 3d app helps to get rid of curruptions.

Also the sample picture is incorrect as this has been fixed with driver 10-12 for evergreen as long as you only want to decode h264 up to l4.1 or vc1. The only partital support for mpeg(1/2) has been dropped from xvba-video, only VLD for h264/vc1 is there anymore. So ati should fix l5.1 issues this year... A vdpau lib would be nice too or at least they should convince adobe to support vaapi...

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Also the sample picture is incorrect as this has been fixed with driver 10-12 for evergreen
    Yeah it took them about a year to fix it I believe... Oh wait I can't say that, they never officially released UVD for the Linux Desktop in the first place, can't complain about bugs in unreleased products!

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    A vdpau lib would be nice too or at least they should convince adobe to support vaapi...
    Now that would be a hard sell, considering that they don't even support vaapi themselves. Note that keeping UVD on the Linux desktop in a perpetual unreleased status and only allowing access to the UVD block by a third-party library and therefore shifting the support burden to the company behind the third-party library who can't do anything about the UVD related bugs that are present in fglrx is not what I consider as support.

Quote Originally Posted by gbeauche View Post
    Hey, Evergreen support broke again in 11.1 drivers? So, it was fixed only for one to two Catalyst releases? I don't even want to try...
    I have no idea if it's broken again, I have no access to 11.1 yet. This was just me playing with GIMP, sorry about that

Default Adler

<a href=http://namore.tv> </a>

Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    Note that keeping UVD on the Linux desktop in a perpetual unreleased status and only allowing access to the UVD block by a third-party library and therefore shifting the support burden to the company behind the third-party library who can't do anything about the UVD related bugs that are present in fglrx is not what I consider as support.
    ATI's official response to that:
    Good support is like beauty, which means it's in the eye of the beholder.
    P.S.: Don't bother sending us your rsum.

Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    ATI's official response to that:
    Good support is like beauty, which means it's in the eye of the beholder.
    P.S.: Don't bother sending us your rsum.
    LOL well now that their CEO Dirk Meyer that thought it was a good idea and so sold off their manufacturing unit Doh, is gone after a third-quarter net loss of US$118 million.
    http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/arti...signs_amd_ceo/
    the Executive Board are on the lookout for someone to save them from the Intel/ARM onslaught so perhaps they will take those rsum after all

Two Years and all change again, is it bad or not getting through two CEO's per new CPU design cycle