Page 7 of 117 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 1167

Thread: AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    b) h264 l5.1 usually fails
    Try to play with the extra "dm" option. e.g. -vo vaapi:dm=0 or 1 (whatever works) as a workaround. Something probably regressed.

    xvba-video has got some extra drawbacks:

    a) No OSD/subtitle support at all.
    Well, not in a version you can use yet. ;-)

    b) mpeg2 is not fully supported, which is really bad as you still have to use only for that content type direct gl outout - on nvidia you can use vaapi for at least 3 content types, in theory with the dx10.1 cards even 4.
    It's not an XvBA limitation but a limitation of the underlying HW. The API won't magically implement something if the underlying HW doesn't support it.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,607

    Default

    As xvba-video is a wrapper it could contain software to implement missing parts.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    R600 doesn't have UVD. It was a pretty big chip already and it had enough shader power and bandwidth to do a fair amount of decode acceleration on the shaders.
    Then I'm confused... according to this: http://www.amd.com/us/products/deskt...00-series.aspx
    HD3xxx series *does* have UVD. RHD-2xxx even.

    Or is it just fake-UVD ala shaders (aka the gallium3d plan)?
    If it is just fake-UVD, then why the distinction between R3100 (780V chipset) and RHD3200 (780G chipset)? 3100 just not strong enough? Or is it a question of being disabled in the drivers?

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    As xvba-video is a wrapper it could contain software to implement missing parts.
    You will be duplicating code or producing inefficient code. The better thing is to support IDCT level acceleration. That's all, but not something I want to do now. That would be fine if you only had to maintain a single driver, not if you had several drivers that would need the same treatment.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    Then I'm confused... according to this: http://www.amd.com/us/products/deskt...00-series.aspx
    HD3xxx series *does* have UVD. RHD-2xxx even.

    Or is it just fake-UVD ala shaders (aka the gallium3d plan)?
    If it is just fake-UVD, then why the distinction between R3100 (780V chipset) and RHD3200 (780G chipset)? 3100 just not strong enough? Or is it a question of being disabled in the drivers?
    I don't understand your question. I'm talking about the R600 (aka HD2900) but you linked to the HD3000 Series page (ie different chips).

    The R600 did not have UVD. The RV610/HD2400, RV630/HD2600, RV620/HD34xx, RV635/HD36xx and RV670/HD38xx all had the UVD1 block. 780G and RV7xx parts have UVD2-family decoder blocks.

    The primary difference between 780G and 780V is that the 780G has UVD while the 780V does not -- the 780V is aimed at business systems where efficient video playback is a drawback, not a benefit
    Last edited by bridgman; 11-03-2009 at 03:56 PM.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,607

    Default

    @gbeauche

    It does not interest me how it is implemented as long as it works. I tested that dm=0 override, it really helped on nvidia, then tested it with my HD 4550 card and guess what, full system crash. Also it is not really acceptable that only you can use OSD, that has to work for everybody.

  7. #67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    I don't understand your question. I'm talking about the R600 (aka HD2900) but you linked to the HD3000 Series page (ie different chips).
    I think he was the same way confused, as I was.

    I often use r600 as a placeholder for all r6xx chips. So I was thinking of the whole family of chips when you spoke about r600, not that chip specially.

    So there is only the question if UVD will also be supported by XvBA.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post
    I think he was the same way confused, as I was.

    I often use r600 as a placeholder for all r6xx chips. So I was thinking of the whole family of chips when you spoke about r600, not that chip specially.

    So there is only the question if UVD will also be supported by XvBA.
    You would get an answer by trying yourself. If it works, that'd be a good thing for you, but if it doesn't, don't bug anyone since only UVD2 is said to be supported. Simply install the packages and run `vainfo'. If it doesn't report anything, sorry, no luck.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,607

    Default

    vainfo

    shows the same output on r600, tested with a HD 3450 card. Just mplayer crashes everytime.

  10. #70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbeauche View Post
    You would get an answer by trying yourself. If it works, that'd be a good thing for you, but if it doesn't, don't bug anyone since only UVD2 is said to be supported. Simply install the packages and run `vainfo'. If it doesn't report anything, sorry, no luck.
    That's a test for now. I think somethink like:

    libXvBA checks for UVD2 -> UVD2 not detected -> acceleration disabled

    something that could be changed in later versions.

    But for now I have to get my gentoo to be aware of va-api.
    Last edited by PuckPoltergeist; 11-03-2009 at 04:40 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •