Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intel & AMD Decide To Stop Fighting

Hybrid View

Default Intel & AMD Decide To Stop Fighting

Phoronix: Intel & AMD Decide To Stop Fighting

Intel and AMD have jointly announced this morning that they have decided to stop fighting each other and have settled all outstanding legal disputes. These fights, of course, have been over anti-trust litigation, patent disputes, and other matters that have been burdening both companies for the past years. As part of this settlement, Intel will be paying AMD an amount of $1.25 billion USD and both companies have agreed to a new 5-year cross license deal...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzY5Ng

What's that? I hear Lucifer ice-skated to work today!

In other words;
    Intel is a thieving bastard that was in the wrong and has finally accepted the fact that they would lose.

Way to go AMD!

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstm View Post
    What's that? I hear Lucifer ice-skated to work today!
    yeah, I think so.

Now I'm waiting for the call from the girl that said 3 years ago that she would've sex with me when hell is frozen...

The subheadline is wrong. It says 'With $1.5B USD Payout.'

Default Umm

Well a nice payoff sounds good, but that doesn't mean Intel won't be up to the same tricks. Sounds fishy to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Jebtrix View Post
    Well a nice payoff sounds good, but that doesn't mean Intel won't be up to the same tricks. Sounds fishy to me...
    The payout is the cash part of the settlement. There's going to be verbiage not disclosed to us as part of that- if Intel's paying $1.5B, that's quite a bit of cash and translates into some clauses that they have to have probably agreed to that would allow AMD to drag them right back into court over if they don't quit doing many of the things they were doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    The payout is the cash part of the settlement. There's going to be verbiage not disclosed to us as part of that- if Intel's paying $1.5B, that's quite a bit of cash and translates into some clauses that they have to have probably agreed to that would allow AMD to drag them right back into court over if they don't quit doing many of the things they were doing.
    Thats exactly right...
    The part where it says
    Intel has also agreed to abide by a set of business practice provisions

Wow! I'm very impressed with this news. I knew that AMD and Intel have been bickering in the past. 1.5Billion, sounds like a lot. Not sure if AMD lost a lot more out of it though. I'd like to know if AMD are just biting the bullet to keep peace. Maybe it's costing them too much in court? Or maybe the next product line will include some new shared technology..? Probably realised at the end of it all, that they're both just making the lawyers rich, and the ping pong sessions in court never end.

$1.25B not $1.5B. The Associated Press has a more informative write up: http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/200911...amd_settlement