Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 67

Thread: AMD Catalyst 9.11 For Linux Released

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,305

    Default AMD Catalyst 9.11 For Linux Released

    Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 9.11 For Linux Released

    AMD has today pushed out their Catalyst 9.11 Linux driver. This release contains support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux and initial support for OpenSuSE 11.2 along with a handful of minor bug-fixes...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzcxNA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    437

    Default

    Call me troll but unless OSS driver provides support for new ATI cards, I'm holding on buying any of them. The fglrx is just such a deep sh*t that hurt me too much for my forgiveness, be it the latest version, still crap, period.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyRider View Post
    Call me troll but...
    Troll...
    Last edited by bridgman; 11-18-2009 at 12:30 AM.

  4. #4

    Default

    Yay! I'll take what I can get. Here's hoping to no regressions.


    Hey blur works in Compiz now! I'm satisfied.
    Last edited by rotarychainsaw; 11-17-2009 at 11:49 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Anyone happen to know if this driver works with the latest xorg-server releases? (1.7.1 in my case).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    97

    Default

    I'll just wait until ubuntu 10.04 comes out; seems that less can go wrong. I'll gauge how good it is by measuring the amount of people who rage and grief in this thread

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rotarychainsaw View Post
    Yay! I'll take what I can get. Here's hoping to no regressions.
    You also work for AMD/ATI?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    429

    Default Is 2D support improved for R700 cards yet?

    The previous release's 2D support on my HD 4650 was so bad that a 80x24 gnome-terminal window couldn't even scroll without tearing, and "focus-follows-mouse" between 2 such gnome-terminals was taking over a second to take effect.

    I could almost hear my ancient Matrox G400 screaming with derisory laughter behind me... Will 9.11 bring more of the same?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
    The previous release's 2D support on my HD 4650 was so bad that a 80x24 gnome-terminal window couldn't even scroll without tearing, and "focus-follows-mouse" between 2 such gnome-terminals was taking over a second to take effect.

    I could almost hear my ancient Matrox G400 screaming with derisory laughter behind me... Will 9.11 bring more of the same?
    You'll feel like you upgraded to a G400MAX... those 32MB of ram will send you screaming for joy!

    OSS drivers on 2.6.31 aren't bad at all. Even have some openGL working! (on HD4850)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    429

    Default Not enough OpenGL, unfortunately.

    Quote Originally Posted by lordmozilla View Post
    OSS drivers on 2.6.31 aren't bad at all. Even have some openGL working! (on HD4850)
    The machine needs to be able to run WoW; otherwise I'd have set fglrx on fire and thrown it out the window long ago.

    And the G400 is a G400 MAX, unfortunately. By the sound of things, it's probably working on a new "victory dance" right now...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •