Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Sponsors The Development Of Enlightenment

Default Samsung Sponsors The Development Of Enlightenment

Phoronix: Samsung Sponsors The Development Of Enlightenment

Back in June Enlightenment E16 reached version 1.0.0 and then a few weeks later there was an E17 development snapshot released, but there hasn't been a whole lot of news out of the Enlightenment camp over the past year. In fact, most new Linux users have likely never even heard of the Enlightenment...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzcxNQ

I really used to love Enlightenment back in the days (wow 10 years ago!). It was so promising, and so ahead of times with many effects performed on lightweight libraries.

I'm really glad to see a major company sponsoring it!
    Good news!

Default Linux on samsung devices

Samsung also uses Linux on TVs and DVRs. It's a shame they're not really opening much of that up, but it's nice to know if your tv is running linux anyway.

Everybody it seems wants their own OS these days.

I'm guessing Samsung plans on using Enlightenment for the UI of Bada and that's why this is happening (it wouldn't be much of a stretch since the OpenMoko guys did a Enlightenment-based UI for their fone if I'm not mistaken).

Samsung's Bada is NOT supposed to challenge Android. It's desinged for cheap phones in the entry level.

well, e17 definitely needs some public reviews. i found that many people are unaware of its existence.

This article really made me long for a good side-by-side comparison of different types of window managers. It's hard to make an informed decision about these things unless you have the time to randomly install half a dozen environments on your system.

I'd love to see Phoronix do a feature comparison of some of these WMs and/or DEs sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroes View Post
    Samsung also uses Linux on TVs and DVRs. It's a shame they're not really opening much of that up, but it's nice to know if your tv is running linux anyway.
    Why is that a shame? Exactly how would "opening it up" be anything more than a minor benefit at best? I think we need to move past wanting things to be open source just for the sake of them being open source.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
    Why is that a shame? Exactly how would "opening it up" be anything more than a minor benefit at best? I think we need to move past wanting things to be open source just for the sake of them being open source.
    because when you open things up ... the chumby effect happens