Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working DisplayPort Arrives For Radeon KMS

Default Working DisplayPort Arrives For Radeon KMS

Phoronix: Working DisplayPort Arrives For Radeon KMS

David Airlie has announced on his blog that he and Alex Deucher have finally got support for DisplayPort-driven graphics cards and monitors working with the open-source ATI Linux driver stack. Not only is there user-space mode-setting support via the xf86-video-ati DDX driver, but the kernel mode-setting for this latest monitor interface is working too...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Nzc0Mw

Ah, the beast has been tamed. Well done, both of you!

Cool!

Will this also work with Evergreen, or does it use DisplayPort differently than R600/R700 ?

I thought only

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/x...ati/log/?h=dp2

had support for DP?

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Will this also work with Evergreen, or does it use DisplayPort differently than R600/R700 ?
    last news was that even DVI doesn't work on Evergreen yet. Modesetting changed quite a bit due to eyefinity.

Implementing DP on r600 is a prerequisite to implementing DP on evergreen, though.

see here.

Quote Originally Posted by rohcQaH View Post
    last news was that even DVI doesn't work on Evergreen yet. Modesetting changed quite a bit due to eyefinity.

Implementing DP on r600 is a prerequisite to implementing DP on evergreen, though.

see here.
    I see. Thanks for clearing that out

What proportion of users actually use DP? Reason I ask is that I've never actually seen any kind of display device that actually uses this kind of connector (although I do have one board that has a DP output... which has never been used).

Just curious, not implying anything.

Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    What proportion of users actually use DP? Reason I ask is that I've never actually seen any kind of display device that actually uses this kind of connector (although I do have one board that has a DP output... which has never been used).

Just curious, not implying anything.
    Its a relatively new standard and I would assume it will get quite a bit of support over time since unlike DVI/HDMI, it is royalty free.

It also has other benefits such as greater bandwidth, but these may not be of too much use on consumer laptops/desktops with average sized monitors.

It's just starting to become important; took longer than expected for DP displays to hit the market in volume.