Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: KMS + Radeon quick mini guide

Smile

Thanks for the guide. Instead of drm-next, I used the 2.6.33-rc1 kernel from Ubuntu mainline PPA.

Progress:
    Code:
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R600 (RV710 9540) 20090101  TCL DRI2
    OpenGL version string: 2.0 Mesa 7.8-devel
    Keep hacking!

Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    Thanks for the guide. Instead of drm-next, I used the 2.6.33-rc1 kernel from Ubuntu mainline PPA.

Progress:
    Code:
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R600 (RV710 9540) 20090101  TCL DRI2
    OpenGL version string: 2.0 Mesa 7.8-devel
    Keep hacking!
    Hi, are you running Lucid or Karmic with the Lucid PPA? Reason I'm asking is because the PPA page says something about a new X Server incompatible with Karmic.

I'm running a Karmic install with the X Server from the xorg-edgers PPA and the rest of the stuff built from git.

EDIT: It's a partition that I play around with and probably won't remain that way for long. I just really wanted to type 'glxinfo' and see the string "OpenGL 2.0"
    Last edited by DanL; 12-21-2009 at 08:30 PM.

After updating everything,:
    Code:
    (EE) AIGLX error: Calling driver entry point failed
    (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
    I'm sure this will be fixed soon.

Are there any other error messages in the same area ? That sounds like your build failed for the 3D driver...

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Are there any other error messages in the same area ? That sounds like your build failed for the 3D driver...
    No, I verified the r600_dri.so file make'd installed fine. I even ran make clean and rebuilt mesa.

Have you confirmed that you are getting hardware acceleration with direct rendering ? Remember that the "direct rendering: yes" message doesn't mean hardware acceleration these days, you can have direct-rendered software paths as well.

What does glxinfo | grep renderer give you ?

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Have you confirmed that you are getting hardware acceleration with direct rendering ? Remember that the "direct rendering: yes" message doesn't mean hardware acceleration these days, you can have direct-rendered software paths as well.
    John, I don't really understand your question. I was not claiming to get direct rendering with the latest libdrm/xf86-ati/mesa/ (It worked yesterday, but not today, and that's okay; I expect frequent breakage at the moment). I also realize that I'm using a weird combination of packages on that partition.

At the moment, the Xorg log is failing at the AIGLX stuff
    Code:
    (II) RADEON(0): [DRI2] Setup complete
    (EE) AIGLX error: Calling driver entry point failed
    (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering

Understood. You hadn't said anything about direct rendering, but these days every time I ask someone if they have hardware acceleration they reply "yes I have direct rendering" so I figured I would try to save one back-and-forth transaction and respond first

There was an ABI change on Sunday night / Monday morning which required a libdrm_radeon update as well - AFAIK nothing is broken right now but pulling and building while the transition was happening could cause problems. Suggest you pull and build again. I believe the ABI change was between libdrm_radeon and mesa/ddx, no change to drm (kernel) itself.

EDIT: Nvm. I had Ubuntu's version of libdrm_radeon interfering with the build. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by DanL; 12-23-2009 at 04:14 AM.