Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: Plymouth Gets Tighter Integration With GDM, X

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoDoENT View Post
    And what about KDM? Why are KDE users always left behind?
    How many corporate installs of KDE with a service contract are there?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    248

    Default

    That's a moot point. You cannot count that, and any stats from Redhat which supports just Gnome will not prove anything.

    Any online pools show that both KDE and Gnome have big usershare. Furthermore both Qt and GTK+ are part of LSB.

    I'm sorry but with the current mind set, KDE people will need to hack on Xserver or write their own Xserver soon, because it may become to tied to Gnome. I'm exaggerating sure, but it shows the current situation. Yet again you see KDE users complaining in gnome topic, you do not see the other way around so that has to mean something, or do you really think that all the trolls live just on the K front ? It just means KDE users have some good reasons to complain that's all.

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melcar View Post
    Nothing wrong with GNOME. All they need to do is fix their damn panels and menu. As is, KDE is a far better desktop, though gtk apps. are for the most part superior to qt ones.
    Actually, qt apps are superior to gtk apps. To name just few: Amarok, Kate, Ktorrent, Akregator, SMPlayer...

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by val-gaav View Post
    Yet again you see KDE users complaining in gnome topic, you do not see the other way around so that has to mean something, or do you really think that all the trolls live just on the K front ?
    No, but the force is certainly strong on the K front. :P

    It just means KDE users have some good reasons to complain that's all.
    If that was true, you'd see KDE developers complain - not users. This is not the case, which means this is plain old trolling by angsty KDE users worrying about their DE's sexual orientation (tm).

    In all seriousness, improvements in the Gnome stack do not endanger the KDE ecosystem (or vice versa). Not to mention that Fedora's raison d'Ítre is to develop and test bleeding-edge code - if this patch proves beneficial it will be adopted upstream and implemented by all affected parties (including KDM). There's nothing nefarious, there's no big conspiracy to lock KDE out of anything ("all I hear these days is Gnome" types of comments). This plain, honest, open-source software development.

    And I simply cannot understand all this animosity emanating from KDE users. Every single DE-related topic here is littered, flamed and finally derailed by angry KDE users trolling about Win98 wannabies, Microsoft sell-outs, Gnome conspiracies, Hitler, Nazis and the end of the world.

    Come on guys, give it a rest. Your DE rocks, it's the bestest, seriously. Now can we all live together in peace, without flames on every single Gnome-related topic? (Pretty sure world peace is just round the corner once we can do that).

    Edit: spelling.
    Last edited by BlackStar; 11-30-2009 at 05:42 AM.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Radoboj, Croatia
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    Actually, qt apps are superior to gtk apps. To name just few: Amarok, Kate, Ktorrent, Akregator, SMPlayer...
    As a KDE user I can only say that this is true only if you count _only_ Qt3 applications. They are superior to gtk applications, but most of qt4 applications aren't mature yet (e.g. Amarok2, KOffice2, KBluetooth4, ...)

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,126

    Default

    Guys, are you really sure a discussion on the relative superiority of qt3, qt4 and gtk apps belongs to a Plymouth-related thread? (Not to mention the inanity of the notion that the windowing toolkit has something to do with the superiority or inferiority of an application).

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post

    In all seriousness, improvements in the Gnome stack do not endanger the KDE ecosystem (or vice versa). Not to mention that Fedora's raison d'Ítre is to develop and test bleeding-edge code - if this patch proves beneficial it will be adopted upstream and implemented by all affected parties (including KDM). There's nothing nefarious, there's no big conspiracy to lock KDE out of anything ("all I hear these days is Gnome" types of comments). This plain, honest, open-source software development.
    Gnome people aren't better. Believe or not, but some people say there's such gnomocentrizm, because of some political reasons.

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    Guys, are you really sure a discussion on the relative superiority of qt3, qt4 and gtk apps belongs to a Plymouth-related thread?
    No, but sometimes it is better to correct some things.

    (Not to mention the inanity of the notion that the windowing toolkit has something to do with the superiority or inferiority of an application).
    There are some nice tools to make feature rich UI on QT side
    Last edited by kraftman; 11-30-2009 at 06:21 AM.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    Guys, are you really sure a discussion on the relative superiority of qt3, qt4 and gtk apps belongs to a Plymouth-related thread? (Not to mention the inanity of the notion that the windowing toolkit has something to do with the superiority or inferiority of an application).
    you still have to understand how flamewars work. It is NOT about arguments or logic

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madman2k View Post
    you still have to understand how flamewars work. It is NOT about arguments or logic
    I stand corrected...

    Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    Gnome people aren't better. Believe or not, but some people say there's such gnomocentrizm, because of some political reasons.
    ...and I think I know *exactly* what we need.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •