View Poll Results: There is a hidden political agenda to promote... (select all that apply)

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gnome , for political reasons, to the detriment of KDE/XFCE/[insert marginal DE]

    25 26.88%
  • KDE, for political reasons, to the detriment of Gnome/XFCE/[insert marginal DE]

    7 7.53%
  • XFCE, for political reasons, to the detriment of Gnome/KDE/[insert marginal DE]

    5 5.38%
  • [Insert marginal DE], for inconsequent reasons, to the detriment of Gnome/KDE/XFCE

    8 8.60%
  • Not only that, but I also have the facts to prove it

    10 10.75%
  • Personally, I believe in Gnome

    12 12.90%
  • Personally, I believe in KDE

    32 34.41%
  • Personally, I believe in Steve Jobs

    7 7.53%
  • Personally, I am a Microsoft apologist

    6 6.45%
  • Personally, I believe you are a troll and that this thread is rubbish

    56 60.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 564

Thread: Does a grand evil conspiracy lie behind specific Desktop Environments?

  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    Thanks, interesting reads - they seem to support my "batshit crazy" theory.
    Who knows?

    Do you have any links to articles written by Owen Taylor of RH (or similar) that debase KDE? This should be eye-opening.
    I'll look for them later. Here's more about Novell:

    http://mono-nono.com/2009/07/15/nove...mono-in-gnome/

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Radoboj, Croatia
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Mr. de Icaza has said in the past, “Gnome 4.0 should be based on .NET“
    Whoa... That'll for sure put some order in GNOME ecosystem and ease the creation of gnome apps. (Personally, I like .net, as it enables rapid software development, although it's (almost) windows only.)

    If that comes true, then GNOME will be a real competition to KDE on the side of ease of development, but it will be based on a technology that has licencing issues (sounds familiar?).

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoDoENT View Post
    If that comes true, then GNOME will be a real competition to KDE on the side of ease of development, but it will be based on a technology that has licencing issues (sounds familiar?).
    No..?

    (stupid 10 character limit)

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Radoboj, Croatia
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    No..?
    Well, GNOME purists often say that Qt is not entirely open source and therefore KDE has some licencing issues. See http://developer.kde.org/documentati...ment/ch19.html and http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story...01-21-OP-LF-KE

    Personally, I don't care much about licencing, but it's a good argument in a flamewar

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,731

    Default

    lets see: Ximian-gang at novell tried to kill KDE in suse?
    check

    ubuntu's KDE is broken with every release?
    check

    phoronix concentrates on ubuntu and gnome isntead of the more popular KDE?
    check

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoDoENT View Post
    Well, GNOME purists often say that Qt is not entirely open source and therefore KDE has some licencing issues. See http://developer.kde.org/documentati...ment/ch19.html and http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story...01-21-OP-LF-KE

    Personally, I don't care much about licencing, but it's a good argument in a flamewar
    that is bullshit. Qt is even more free than gtk.

    They bring up the same gabrage for 10 years.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Radoboj, Croatia
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by energyman View Post
    lets see: Ximian-gang at novell tried to kill KDE in suse?
    check

    ubuntu's KDE is broken with every release?
    check

    phoronix concentrates on ubuntu and gnome isntead of the more popular KDE?
    check
    PTS live ships GNOME?
    check

    All Phoronix benchmarks are run on GNOME?
    check (correct me if I'm wrong)

    Fedora's KDE is broken with every release?
    check

    Btw. it'll be nice to see a KDE apps vs GNOME apps benchmark, especially in RAM usage, as it is commonly believed that KDE uses a lot of memory.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,731

    Default

    http://ktown.kde.org/~seli/memory/de...benchmark.html

    there you go. Yes, from 2006. But hey, the trends were there and incorporating mono certainly did not help gnome in the mean time.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,153

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by DoDoENT View Post
    Personally, I don't care much about licencing, but it's a good argument in a flamewar
    Right!

    Quote Originally Posted by energyman View Post
    that is bullshit. Qt is even more free than gtk.
    The flame strong in this one is.

    So Qt turned LGPL when, last year? GTK has been LGPL since when, forever? Let me enable my RDF[1], one moment... there, yeah. It totally makes sense now, Qt is more free-er!


    [1] RDF = Reality Distortion Field

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,731

    Default

    yeah, except you are wrong.
    LGPL is not half as free as GPL. Even FSF themselves they that you should not use LGPL is you can use GPL. And what did Qt use for years?
    GPL.

    So sit down and have a cup of hot cocoa.

    edit: and Qt was licenced under GPL since 2000. Way to go.
    Last edited by energyman; 11-30-2009 at 02:53 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •