Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD R600/700 DRM Interrupts Support Pushed

I thought the conclusion from that discussion was that the game was using the wrong parameters (some kind of clamp mode ?), and that it was not a driver bug. Do you remember where the thread was ?

EDIT - found it : http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...t=17689&page=4
    Last edited by bridgman; 11-30-2009 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    I thought the conclusion from that discussion was that the game was using the wrong parameters (some kind of clamp mode ?), and that it was not a driver bug. Do you remember where the thread was ?

EDIT - found it : http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...t=17689&page=4
    Yea you are right, I actually forgot the conclusion of that thread.... who knows if it will ever be fixed in official ubuntu rep..

This interrupts support also requires two new firmware files to be loaded by the open-source driver.
    Can anyone please explain this to me?

The firmware is intended to be a patch to the kernel or is it a required bios update for tha graphic card? I really don't understand that sentence.
    Thanks

None of the above, actually

ATI graphics chips use writable microcode stores for the hardware state machines (rather than permanently burning the microcode into the chip) so microcode images need to be loaded by the driver at startup. Two microcode images are already being loaded for 6xx/7xx, one for the "cp" block and another for the "pfp" block.

Supporting interrupts requires that a third microcoded block ("rlc") be enabled, which requires both driver code and an additional microcode image. There are two new files -- one for 6xx hardware and one for 7xx -- and the driver loads whichever one is appropriate for the hardware it finds.

These files aren't really "firmware" in the traditional sense, but there's a lack of agreement on what exactly they *should* be called
    Last edited by bridgman; 11-30-2009 at 05:47 PM.

Oh, I see
    Thank you John.
    Very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    These files aren't really "firmware" in the traditional sense, but there's a lack of agreement on what exactly they *should* be called
    They could be called ABCDEFG for "ATi Block Code Domain Execution Function Groups"

@Louise
    YMMD

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    They could be called ABCDEFG for "ATi Block Code Domain Execution Function Groups"
    Helper Images

"Magic Smoke"

Are these drivers in a state yet where an HD4870 would run as cool as with fglrx?