Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: KDE Software Compilation 4.3.4 Released

Quote Originally Posted by Ant P. View Post
    If they're doing that, then maybe we can finally get them to drop the stupid "design app names around a specific letter" naming scheme!
    Agreed! This is a stupid rant, but since we're on the subject of naming anyway...

As dumb as it sounds, one of the reasons I don't use KDE is the ridiculous tendency of every app to have K in the name. Of course it's not the main reason, but I just don't get it. Do developers actually think it's cool or something? Does anyone?

There are still a few Gnome apps around with G in the name, but it doesn't stand out as much since G is much more common in the English language. It doesn't make it OK though.

Who are they trying to fool? The name wont stick. It will always be just KDE.

Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    Hmm, I always thought KDE was an acronym for "Kitsch Desktop Environment"
    And GNOME is the acronym for "shit".

Agh, and I just had compiled KDE4.3.<4 on the VIA box. Anyway, KDE is always welcome.
    Didn't work on the VIA box though. Still trying to figure out why.

If any KDE experinced folks here have a tip where I could switch of any special gpu stuff (compositing anything related to 3d/openGL) I'd be grateful. KDE starts with the login prog and then just during the loading process (start splash in the middle) it crashes and brings me back to login. XFCE4 worked without major problems. KDE 3.5.10 had also worked without any problems. I guess it may be related to a GPU driver issue. And it's a CLE266 chip from VIA (using openchrome) so these haven't implemented much. *sigh*
    But my big AMD box will be happy to have new food from Gentoo's portage to emerge.

Quote Originally Posted by benmoran View Post
    Agreed! This is a stupid rant, but since we're on the subject of naming anyway...

As dumb as it sounds, one of the reasons I don't use KDE is the ridiculous tendency of every app to have K in the name. Of course it's not the main reason, but I just don't get it. Do developers actually think it's cool or something? Does anyone?

There are still a few Gnome apps around with G in the name, but it doesn't stand out as much since G is much more common in the English language. It doesn't make it OK though.
    You have to be stupid if one of the reasons you don't use KDE is for its app names.

Quote Originally Posted by sundown View Post
    And GNOME is the acronym for "shit".
    It's not shit, but I can only compare it to the UI of Windows 98 or Xp. It doesn't go further and is emberassing when compared to KDE4 and even Windows Vista/7.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    The new "name" sucks. But anyway, I'm not using it because of the name.
    Exactly :>

Quote Originally Posted by Ant P. View Post
    If they're doing that, then maybe we can finally get them to drop the stupid "design app names around a specific letter" naming scheme!

Something that GNOME is way ahead of them on doing, BTW
    Erm, it's bigger than a KDE problem. Systemwide, how many Linux apps have the word "GNU" in the title, or begin with the letter "g"? GNOME stands for "GNU Object Model Environment". So technically, gnome is part of the very problem you're complaining about.

Having said that, it really is rather stupid, except for clever cases like Okular, amaroK, or even Kaffeine. gEdit and KEdit are stupid as shit to me.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by benmoran View Post
    Do developers actually think it's cool or something? Does anyone?
    I think you meant

Do developers actually think it's Kool or something? Does anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    You have to be stupid if one of the reasons you don't use KDE is for its app names.
    You have to be stupid if you think names have nothing to do with perception of a product.