Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Netbook for playing HD video (via HDMI on big screen)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kharkov, UA
    Posts
    7

    Default Netbook for playing HD video (via HDMI on big screen)

    Hello, all
    I need netbook with HDMI and possibility to decode FullHD without problems. I have many videos h.264 1080p and MPEG-2 1080i and want to watch them on my 42"LCD.

    I choose between 'HP mini 311' (with Atom N270 and nVidia ION), 'Acer Timeline 1810T' (Intel Core2 Solo SU3500 and Intel 4500MHD), MSI Wind U210X (with AMD Yukon L335 1,6 and ATI Radeon X1250)
    What is the better solution for linux?

    Thx,
    Last edited by sspphheerraa; 12-25-2009 at 06:24 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    The HP ion system is really the only choice to watch HD video in linux.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    822

    Default

    I think none of the CPUs is strong enough to decode 1080p H.264, so without GPU acceleration you cannot playback that properly.

    Intel and AMD open source drivers do not accelerate H.264 decode at present. NVidia VDPAU should work with the proprietary driver.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    The HP ion system is really the only choice to watch HD video in linux.
    This statement is not fully correct as is since other US15W-based netbooks fall into this category as well. However, you have to add "The HP ION system, with an HDMI connector, ..." ;-) IOW, netbooks with an HDMI connector are not so common.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbeauche View Post
    This statement is not fully correct as is since other US15W-based netbooks fall into this category as well. However, you have to add "The HP ION system, with an HDMI connector, ..." ;-) IOW, netbooks with an HDMI connector are not so common.
    The statement is completely correct, US15W netbook is not capable of playing 1080p h264 in linux (or windows even once the bitrates increase). All ion based netbooks also feature a HDMI connection as well.
    Last edited by deanjo; 12-26-2009 at 07:53 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    The statement is completely correct, US15W netbook is not capable of playing 1080p h264 in linux (or windows even once the bitrates increase).
    It can. Even on Windows 7, though this one requires 2 GB RAM to get something near as smooth as one gets on Linux with only 512 MB...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbeauche View Post
    It can. Even on Windows 7, though this one requires 2 GB RAM to get something near as smooth as one gets on Linux with only 512 MB...
    Using what? That great abandoned GMA500 driver?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    26

    Default ARM netbook

    Wait for ARM netbooks, they gonna be launched in first quarter 2010. These netbooks will have special DSP integrated for HD Video decoding and they will be cheaper than the normal netbook.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Riotta View Post
    Wait for ARM netbooks, they gonna be launched in first quarter 2010. These netbooks will have special DSP integrated for HD Video decoding and they will be cheaper than the normal netbook.
    It's going to be hard for them to take on the Atom solutions on price. If anything intel has shown over the past that they are willing to drop prices to take on competition. Then there is of course the time it will take to get such accelerated support properly done and implemented. Beagleboard for example has been out for a while but nobody has taken on the task of porting XBMC to it and by the looks of it could be a long time for that support.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Beagleboard for example has been out for a while but nobody has taken on the task of porting XBMC to it and by the looks of it could be a long time for that support.
    The Beagle Board looks nice, but... $149.00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •