Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Wine 1.1.34 Brings Many More Fixes

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,405

    Default Wine 1.1.34 Brings Many More Fixes

    Phoronix: Wine 1.1.34 Brings Many More Fixes

    It's Friday and it's time for a new bi-weekly development release of the Wine software. Wine 1.1.34 this time around brings a lot of changes, but a few that are noteworthy...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Nzc3NA

  2. #2

    Default

    I've given up on Wine years ago. Nothing can spoil a great Linux setup faster than trying to make this stuff do anything on it.

    I wish all the best to it's developers but it's been too gone for too long IMO. There's just no good reason to struggle with this anymore.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whiskey_tango View Post
    I've given up on Wine years ago. Nothing can spoil a great Linux setup faster than trying to make this stuff do anything on it.
    IMO you are Wrong on all accounts.

    I tried Linux years ago and it didn't support much of my hardware. So it must be true today? Same assumption, different project, and just as wrong.

    I've yet to see Wine "spoil" a Linux setup. Even if a Windows program totally fails to work right... all my Linux apps work fine. What do you mean by "spoil"?

    Quote Originally Posted by whiskey_tango View Post
    I wish all the best to it's developers but it's been too gone for too long IMO. There's just no good reason to struggle with this anymore.
    If you wished the best to Wine developers you'd stop trolling their work with misguided and outdated accusations of failure and uselessness. There are thousands of Wine users who disagree with you and would call Wine a success.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    IMO you are Wrong on all accounts.

    I tried Linux years ago and it didn't support much of my hardware. So it must be true today? Same assumption, different project, and just as wrong.

    I've yet to see Wine "spoil" a Linux setup. Even if a Windows program totally fails to work right... all my Linux apps work fine. What do you mean by "spoil"?



    If you wished the best to Wine developers you'd stop trolling their work with misguided and outdated accusations of failure and uselessness. There are thousands of Wine users who disagree with you and would call Wine a success.
    Wine developer are ya? Sorry to step on your toes.

    I respectfully disagree with you and that is MY opinion. If you're into Wine then have at it.
    In my experience, if you must use Windows apps, just use Windows or else find an alternative for Linux. Wine doesn't make Linux better, apps that run natively in Linux do.

    What spoils Linux is when you inform a newbie he can use wine to run something he thinks he has to have. You and I both know that's a crap shoot at best. More often than not after hours of struggle the newbie throws up his arms and says screw it all and goes back to Windows.

    How's that any good?
    Just tell the newbie to find a Linux alternative and he might stick around.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whiskey_tango View Post
    Wine developer are ya? Sorry to step on your toes.

    I respectfully disagree with you and that is MY opinion. If you're into Wine then have at it.
    In my experience, if you must use Windows apps, just use Windows or else find an alternative for Linux. Wine doesn't make Linux better, apps that run natively in Linux do.

    What spoils Linux is when you inform a newbie he can use wine to run something he thinks he has to have. You and I both know that's a crap shoot at best. More often than not after hours of struggle the newbie throws up his arms and says screw it all and goes back to Windows.

    How's that any good?
    Just tell the newbie to find a Linux alternative and he might stick around.

    I don't know why OSS guys are always screaming that crap. There are a lot of programs that simply DON'T have a useful Linux alternative. It's just not that simple. Don't even get me started on gaming. Having to reboot just to play a game when you could possibly play said game with wine.

    Personally, I've taken a break from Linux for a moment, but I can say that I probably wouldn't have if wine got some games to work properly.

    (The issue V!NCENT complains about affects all source based games. Bug http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12453 and the supposedly fixed http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20602)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
    I don't know why OSS guys are always screaming that crap. There are a lot of programs that simply DON'T have a useful Linux alternative. It's just not that simple.
    Even for the ones that do have a viable alternative, they often don't interoperate well enough (or at all) with the proprietary software and formats that people are expected to use to get their work done. Most people can't afford to quit their job just because they're expected to use proprietary software.

    I do consider myself a supporter of both Free Software and Open Source Software, and I do agree that it's better to use native apps when they're suitable. Pretending that the situation is better than it really is doesn't help anybody, though.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whiskey_tango View Post
    I've given up on Wine years ago. Nothing can spoil a great Linux setup faster than trying to make this stuff do anything on it.

    I wish all the best to it's developers but it's been too gone for too long IMO. There's just no good reason to struggle with this anymore.
    Interesting... so I can judge Windows7 based on Vista? or Ubuntu 9.10 based on Ubuntu 7.10? This hardly makes sense... one must evaluate a tool based on current needs, and current abilities.

    I run a number of Windows apps under it just fine, and it has supported my Linux setup by running FireFox/Flash for when for some reason the Linux versions can't... not everything works perfectly, one minor app I'd like to use doesn't work at all for me, but it's still an essential part of my toolkit.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whiskey_tango View Post
    I've given up on Wine years ago. Nothing can spoil a great Linux setup faster than trying to make this stuff do anything on it.
    I totally agree with you. That's why Ubuntu doesn't come with Wine by default. It only creates expectations and excitement only to find out that it almost doesn't run anything correctly and spoils the entire Linux expectatons. It is better so see Linux as Linux and not as a Windows replacement or successor because it just can't be that. No matter how good the Wine integration is.

    How come that even with the Windows version of Quake 2, which is now FLOSS, everything works untill I jump into the water. It always crashes. It is like that with so much Windows games. They all work under Wine, for a few minutes and then you find out that a single stupid feature that you absolutely need just doesn't work :/

    I wish all the best to it's developers but it's been too gone for too long IMO. There's just no good reason to struggle with this anymore.
    Someday you will eventually be able to run your old games and whatnot... So it doesn't hurt that much to have the Wine project around...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    I totally agree with you. That's why Ubuntu doesn't come with Wine by default. It only creates expectations and excitement only to find out that it almost doesn't run anything correctly and spoils the entire Linux expectations. It is better so see Linux as Linux and not as a Windows replacement or successor because it just can't be that. No matter how good the Wine integration is.
    I would expect that Wine is not default in Ubuntu simply because the general use case for most users (surf web, edit office documents, play music/videos) does not require it. There are many high quality Linux apps that are not part of the default install. No need to make it into more than it is.

    I think it needs to be recognized though that most users are replacing Windows, and for various users and businesses, Wine can help support the transition by allowing unique or custom business apps to still be available under Linux. Linux can stand on it's own all it wants, but if users can't run the applications they need to then it's useless.

    My historical complaint about Wine on Ubuntu was that it was always an old version, when the newer development builds gave a better user experience. Even with the latest build, there seems to be a wide range of experiences with Wine, while I'm floored at how well it runs most apps that I need to, I can appreciate that other apps don't work.

    [BTW, FWIW I'm running Evernote 2.x, Mobipocket Reader, Firefox/Flash, Quicken... these aren't games, but they are still valuable apps to me, to say "nothing works" is a stretch. That being said, I think office/productivity application users might be more tolerant of glitches than game users... of course we had those on Windows too]
    Last edited by Craig73; 12-06-2009 at 02:01 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,598

    Default

    Maybe you don't know that there are Linux apps which internally use wine like picasa?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •