Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Great Present In The Linux 2.6.33 Kernel

Hybrid View

Default A Great Present In The Linux 2.6.33 Kernel

Phoronix: A Great Present In The Linux 2.6.33 Kernel

David Airlie has just called upon Linus Torvalds to pull in the latest DRM patches for inclusion into the Linux 2.6.33 kernel. The Direct Rendering Manager improvements in this next kernel release will be particularly interesting and are perhaps as significant as earlier kernels that had introduced kernel mode-setting support for Intel and ATI/AMD hardware along with in-kernel memory management...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Nzc4OQ

I have 4 words for ya. I.. LOVE.. THIS.. COMPANY! Yeah!

No wait, wrong forum

Fedora 13 is going to one hack of a release with all this stuff going in!

Talking Freudian slip?

Freudian slip?
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post

Fedora 13 is going to one hack of a release with all this stuff going in!

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    will not be immediately beneficial to Linux desktop users with Canonical having decided to ship Ubuntu 10.04 with the Linux 2.6.32 kernel instead
    You do realize that there are more distros than just Ubuntu, don't you? (note: I sometimes/often question whether or not you actually do...)

i.e. Dave Airlie works for RH, so you can bet that it will hit Fedora first. If not in F12/testing, then at least in Rawhide -- and this will be WAY before ubunuptu 10.04.

hehe. yes, that was what I was hitting in my own discrete way

I wouldn't even be surprised if F12 got updated to 2.6.33 in a months time. F12 is pretty new, and I recall that I have seen updates on my Fedora that upgraded the kernel twice in F10.

Since I haven't yet have time to read into the poulsbo issue:
    will this change the horrible GMA500 situation?

Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
    I doubt it.

Since Intel did not develop the GMA500 graphics it's probably no up to them to open it up. So it's going to keep on sucking.

The people that can do that are Imagination Technologies and with very little competition and choice in the Linux embedded graphics arena I doubt they really care that much. Typical embedded developer attitudes are: "Hack the software until it works. After that? Nobody cares. Stop wasting time with what currently works and start hacking the driver to work on the next project". The idea of code reuse and the point of having stuff open source is kinda lost on those types of folks since they come from a background of writing one-off software for small systems.

http://www.imgtec.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
    Wasn't there a new, open DRM and xorg driver posted for the GMA 500 chips? This would leave only the 3d mesa driver as a binary blob, which may not be ideal, but would be far better than what we have now.

Having a hard time coming up with a google hit for this info, however. Maybe I'm having a brain fart?

Default Pinetrail has G3xxx graphics not GMA 500.

I don't think that "better Intel graphics compared to their current Atom processors found in many netbooks and nettops, but it is being derived from the GMA 500 Poulsbo. " is inaccurate.

Multiple sources have listed the Pineview /Pinetrail processor as having a GMA "3150" (read GMA 3000 series/G31) based gpu and not based off of the GMA 500.

see:
    http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15984/1/
    http://netbooked.net/blog/10.1-atom-...book-hits-fcc/
    http://www.techfuels.com/latest-hard...ma-3150-a.html
    Last edited by sreyan; 12-10-2009 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    You do realize that there are more distros than just Ubuntu, don't you? (note: I sometimes/often question whether or not you actually do...)

i.e. Dave Airlie works for RH, so you can bet that it will hit Fedora first. If not in F12/testing, then at least in Rawhide -- and this will be WAY before ubunuptu 10.04.
    As most Linux users are on Ubuntu, it's more relevant to mention Ubuntu, but Fedora users are fairly common too so I agree it probably could have been mentioned. Ubuntu is beta enough as it is for my taste. I'd only use Fedora in a test environment after the hell I've gone through with it in the past.

Regardless, there will always be distros that will choose to make different kernel versions the default, and you will of course have the option to (easily, via repos) use either version with both Ubuntu and Fedora. Well, I don't know about .32 through the repo with Fedora...but maybe?