Thread: RandR 1.2 Coming To NVIDIA's Binary Driver

Default RandR 1.2 Coming To NVIDIA's Binary Driver

Phoronix: RandR 1.2 Coming To NVIDIA's Binary Driver

Up to this point if you've fully wanted to configure and manage your displays when using the binary NVIDIA graphics driver on Linux, you've had to use nvidia-settings from the command-line or the GUI version for full support. We have learned, however, that NVIDIA is quickly working to enable RandR 1.2 support within their binary driver. When this support arrives, NVIDIA customers will then be able to additionally use the xrandr utility to configure the display or the numerous open-source graphical utilities for configuring the display such as those in GNOME or KDE. We don't know when NVIDIA will officially introduce this feature in their Linux driver (and likely Solaris and FreeBSD too), but they classify it as a top priority feature. Back in August, AMD had introduced RandR 1.2 support for their proprietary driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjkwMw

Default xrand

I don't see Xrand 1.2 as a greaat thing, since I can't have different sizes for different displays on my laptop with intel card..

It's very frustrating on a Eee PC, since when I put the secondary display on 1024x768 my laptop screen gets cut on the half since it just supports 800x480...

ps: I would be happy to be wrong on this, so please correct me if I'm indeed wrong

(with xf86-video-nv being one of the exceptions)
    this is not true it supports randr-1.2 on g80+ gpus.

Quote Originally Posted by puelocesar View Post
    I don't see Xrand 1.2 as a greaat thing, since I can't have different sizes for different displays on my laptop with intel card..

It's very frustrating on a Eee PC, since when I put the secondary display on 1024x768 my laptop screen gets cut on the half since it just supports 800x480...

ps: I would be happy to be wrong on this, so please correct me if I'm indeed wrong
    It isn't great, but it does mean that I can use DE utils to (auto)configure my screens and not suffer the broken system that I have now

Yeah, but I was sad because my friend could do that on his nvidia thingie (but after many work and problems) and I could not with my intel and kde4 screen tool

Well, whatever, xrand1.3 support will be released soon, and my problems will be solved (at least I hope so..)

Quote Originally Posted by puelocesar View Post
    Yeah, but I was sad because my friend could do that on his nvidia thingie (but after many work and problems) and I could not with my intel and kde4 screen tool

Well, whatever, xrand1.3 support will be released soon, and my problems will be solved (at least I hope so..)

You might want to take a look at disper.

http://willem.engen.nl/projects/disper/

So is the xrandr implementation just a way to use xrandr to control and set the TwinView settings instead of having to go through nvidia-settings or is it going to be different? Any idea about opengl on both screens?

What is the status of this? Does nvidia support xrandr 1.2 or not in their propritary dirvers?

Quote Originally Posted by zappa86 View Post
    What is the status of this? Does nvidia support xrandr 1.2 or not in their propritary dirvers?
    You might want to read the interview on Phoronix with nvidia.