Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Gallium3D Gets A Blitter Module

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,133

    Default Gallium3D Gets A Blitter Module

    Phoronix: Gallium3D Gets A Blitter Module

    Gallium3D has been a topic we have talked about a lot lately from the OpenCL state tracker to VMware's virtual GPU driver, but this graphics driver architecture keeps on advancing. The most recent module for Gallium3D is one written by Marek Olšák that provides a blitter. Once the core blitter support is merged into Gallium3D, Marek has already implementing patches for the ATI r300g driver that are able to take advantage of this blitter work...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzgwMw

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Care to tell us what a blitter is?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh, UK
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireBurn View Post
    Care to tell us what a blitter is?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitter

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireBurn View Post
    Care to tell us what a blitter is?
    A blitter is a specialized chip that can initialize memory to a certain value or copy one chunk of memory to another place. It's very fast.

    For r300 and r600, using the HW to blit isn't straightforward; r300 requires a context switch (which is dead-slow and prone to occasional lockup if done wrong) and r600 just doesn't have a blitter. So this little chunk of code provides blitting services on the 3D engine instead.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitter

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MostAwesomeDude View Post
    A blitter is a specialized chip that can initialize memory to a certain value or copy one chunk of memory to another place. It's very fast.

    For r300 and r600, using the HW to blit isn't straightforward; r300 requires a context switch (which is dead-slow and prone to occasional lockup if done wrong) and r600 just doesn't have a blitter. So this little chunk of code provides blitting services on the 3D engine instead.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitter
    Thanks for that - sometimes I feel these articles are just cut and pasted from blogs and mailing lists posts with out any thought or extra input

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MostAwesomeDude View Post
    A blitter is a specialized chip that can initialize memory to a certain value or copy one chunk of memory to another place. It's very fast.

    For r300 and r600, using the HW to blit isn't straightforward; r300 requires a context switch (which is dead-slow and prone to occasional lockup if done wrong) and r600 just doesn't have a blitter. So this little chunk of code provides blitting services on the 3D engine instead.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitter
    Thanks, but what it means for us (R300 hardware users)?
    Faster 3D? 2D? Compositing (for example window moving or scrolling)?
    Will application just make use of it if the drivers supports that or software needs to be heavly modified to work better by using that technique?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    71

    Default

    yitter jitter christmas critter, is this blitter frigger available in gitter ?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xeros View Post
    Thanks, but what it means for us (R300 hardware users)?
    Faster 3D? 2D? Compositing (for example window moving or scrolling)?
    Will application just make use of it if the drivers supports that or software needs to be heavly modified to work better by using that technique?
    It means that I get to nuke a bunch of lame hard-coded 3D engine setup in r300g.

    Oh, wait, I already did. :3

  9. #9

    Default

    I had a dream, about a news site on linux that provides also some infos on the technical context (explanations, implications and consequences for the dev and the end-user...).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xheyther View Post
    I had a dream, about a news site on linux that provides also some infos on the technical context (explanations, implications and consequences for the dev and the end-user...).
    No, you are exchanging the internet for a CS Degree.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •