Thread: Which motherboard for AMD's Phenom II X4 955 BE and 1 GB ATI Radeon 4850X2 PCIE

Hybrid View

Default Which motherboard for AMD's Phenom II X4 955 BE and 1 GB ATI Radeon 4850X2 PCIE

Hi Gurus,

I am planning to buy a system( and run Linux) of following specs:
    4 GB DDR3 RAM
    AMD's Phenom II X4 955 BE
    1 GB ATI Radeon 4850X2 PCIE

I planning to use above machine for:
    * For GPGPU computation, OpenCL
    * Primarily not for games -- though my nephews/nieces play ocassionally
    * Heavy numeric processing & related scientific calculations -- either with OpenCL (or with CUDA if I buy nVidia GPGPU card)

I want your valuable help in selecting a suitable motherboard(s)/GPGPU-card which has support for full resolution(as supported by card in windows), network card and sound support for a reasonable price.

At present, I am planning to use ATI based GPGPU cards -- so OpenCL. I do not have any objection for using nVidia cards -- if they offer similar TeraFlops for the same price as ' AMD's Phenom II X4 955 BE'. If I get nVidia card, I could put my hands on CUDA, OpenCL. Also let me know, how the nVidia/AMD-Radeon Drivers/Libraries fare for GPGPU computations.

Any ideas/improvements are welcome.

thanks in advance

mahadevan
    Last edited by mahadevan; 12-16-2009 at 09:55 PM.

Default motherboard

hello you are asking which mother board is good for AMD's Phenom II X4 955 BE and 1 GB ATI Radeon 4850X2 PCIE i think asrock mother board is better option any series of asrock that match with this configration. i am also using asrock motherboard with amd sempron 3000+ processor.

thanks

Hi,

Finally after various permutations & combinations, I have bought AMD Phenom II 965 BE with M4A785TD-V EVO with Radeon HD 5750.

Current status on Fedora 12:
    No fgrlx drivers work for Fedora 12.
    So display resolution is 1280x1024.

OpenCL from AMD (ATI Stream SDK v2.0 )was running only for Phenom-II CPU. Radeon GPU is not getting recognized by OpenCL.

Will post you more details on OpenCL development on linux after getting the fixes from ATI/AMD for those driver issues.

So at present doing OpenCL R&D stuff on Windows

It's probably worth trying OpenCL on the GPU with a supported distro. You need fglrx for the GPU to be recognized by OpenCL. The driver focus for F12 was really on the open source stack, not fglrx.

There is a list of supported distros on the OpenCL SDK page IIRC; anything with similar X and kernel versions should also have a good chance of working.
    Last edited by bridgman; 01-02-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    It's probably worth trying OpenCL on the GPU with a supported distro.
    How about bringing the supported distro's up to their current version instead of supporting a distro that is near the end of it's support period. *cough* openSUSE 11.0 *cough*

openSUSE™ 11.0 (32-bit/64-bit)
    Ubuntu® 9.04 (32-bit/64-bit)

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    How about bringing the supported distro's up to their current version instead of supporting a distro that is near the end of it's support period. *cough* openSUSE 11.0 *cough*

openSUSE™ 11.0 (32-bit/64-bit)
    Ubuntu® 9.04 (32-bit/64-bit)
    deanjo,

Thanks for the advice. It is in my plan to try above Linux versions. I tried to install 32-bit Ubuntu 9.04 (CD got from Cannonical) and the boot process is failing in between. So I need to try 64-bit Ubuntu -- which takes time.

I will report about it once I am done with that process.

Quote Originally Posted by mahadevan View Post
    deanjo,

Thanks for the advice. It is in my plan to try above Linux versions. I tried to install 32-bit Ubuntu 9.04 (CD got from Cannonical) and the boot process is failing in between. So I need to try 64-bit Ubuntu -- which takes time.

I will report about it once I am done with that process.
    Not surprising that it fails on the boot. That's one of the "gotchas" that can hit a guy on AMD chipset boards. It takes a while it seems to get proper support with newer revisions of their chipsets which has been a sore point with me on them. Chipset support in newer kernels and distro's but AMD drops the ball with "officially" supporting newer distro's with their other solutions. A person shouldn't have to worry about multiple levels of readiness especially when it's from one company.

Default Finally ATI Radeon HD5750 worked in Fedora 12 X86_64 Linux

Hi,

Today I am able to install and configure and run successfully the OpenCL application Fedora 12 on X86_64 machine(as mentioned in above). More about the ATI drivers is here.

mahadevan