Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: AMD Catalyst 9.12 For Linux Released

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Are you REALLY sure? Lots of ppl have to use crude hacks to enable DXVA for something better than H264 L4.1 - better test it yourself before you write something!
    in my point of view if you get something work with "crude hacks" means in reality it 'work'!

he Talks abaut the good linux-fglrx vs the bad windows-catalyst...

I would not call that good out of the box experience. Ok, ATI sells DX11 hardware now, that's better than Nvidia today, but really nothing else. Tessellation must be so awesome that everybody buys a new card in your opinion. It worked lots of years without it and bump mapping and other tricks looked fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    wikipedia:

New features:

* Fixed pipelines[9] are being done away with in favor of fully programmable pipelines (often referred to as unified pipeline architecture), which can be programmed to emulate the same.
    * New state object to enable (mostly) the CPU to change states efficiently.
    * Shader model 4.0, enhances the programmability of the graphics pipeline. It adds instructions for integer and bitwise calculations.
    * Geometry shaders, which work on adjacent triangles which form a mesh.
    * Texture arrays enable swapping of textures in GPU without CPU intervention.
    * Predicated Rendering allows drawing calls to be ignored based on some other conditions. This enables rapid occlusion culling, which prevents objects from being rendered if it is not visible or too far to be visible.
    * Instancing 2.0 support, allowing multiple instances of similar meshes, such as armies, or grass or trees, to be rendered in a single draw call, reducing the processing time needed for multiple similar objects to that of a single one.[10]

for exampel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometry_shaders

you can't do this with your DirectX9...
    That's very cool. However it doesn't have anything to do with graphical effect capabilities. We were talking about God Rays and such, which all work under DirectX 9.0c.

Of course the above will speed up programming and speed up your computer, but the funny thing is that you as an enduser will not notice the speedup compared to XP because Vista and 7 simply cut of the performance gain.

Crysis in high setting on top of Windows 7 runs slower than ultra settings on top of XP.

DirectX10 is a huge improvement, however, once again, it has nothing to do with graphical effects. I have God Rays in Crysis in DirectX 9.0c.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    I would not call that good out of the box experience. Ok, ATI sells DX11 hardware now, that's better than Nvidia today, but really nothing else. Tessellation must be so awesome that everybody buys a new card in your opinion. It worked lots of years without it and bump mapping and other tricks looked fine too.
    hey Tessellation is really cool :-) the DX11 hardware of amd is realy cool!

low idle power consuming.

"I would not call that good out of the box experience."

you are right...

I would have had more trust in the catalyst driver, if the links at the download page were right.

'Release notes' (not the link to 'See Release Notes' which links to 9.12) and 'Installer instructions' still link to version 9.11.

I hope my links are right.

Yours

asdfgh2091

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    That's very cool. However it doesn't have anything to do with graphical effect capabilities. We were talking about God Rays and such, which all work under DirectX 9.0c.

Of course the above will speed up programming and speed up your computer, but the funny thing is that you as an enduser will not notice the speedup compared to XP because Vista and 7 simply cut of the performance gain.

Crysis in high setting on top of Windows 7 runs slower than ultra settings on top of XP.

DirectX10 is a huge improvement, however, once again, it has nothing to do with graphical effects. I have God Rays in Crysis in DirectX 9.0c.
    you can also handle ray-tracing in dx9 shaders ......
    but..... no one use it because the fps is to low.
    the dx10/opg3 features increase the speed of the effects.
    in the end you only can use the effects which are fast enough on your card.

and the windowsXP vs Vista/7 problematic yes you are fully right M$ Fails
    but i do not use 'Windows' at all...

the biggest improvement of DX10 is the better wine support thats because in dirextX9 every single company has his own render path... and DX10 only hase 1 render path. Wine can handle dx10 much easyer than dx9.

i Think the God-rays in dx9-crysis are not so good than the dx10-crysis God-rays..

crysis for general is not the most impressive DX10 game for example Stalker-clear-sky is much better and i read the stalker engine can not handle all dx10 effects in dx9.

unigine engine is a good exampel of the power of DX10/ogl3.x you can't handle this effects on Ogl2.1 or dx9c