Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Compiz 0.9 Be Released By Next Week?

Default Will Compiz 0.9 Be Released By Next Week?

Phoronix: Will Compiz 0.9 Be Released By Next Week?

It's been a while since last talking about the Compiz project as they simply haven't had any new releases or major developments in a while. Early this year the developers did announce that Nomad and Compiz++ would merge into Compiz and that Compiz Fusion would be dropped and other changes planned...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzgyMw

Default C++ only??

compiz is C++ only??
    And me getting rid of the C++ bits on my system (the only remaining bits are CSS renderer and PDF renderer)... will need a new super eye candy window manager coded in C.

Phoronix - where no news is still news :-D

Quote Originally Posted by sylware View Post
    compiz is C++ only??
    And me getting rid of the C++ bits on my system (the only remaining bits are CSS renderer and PDF renderer)... will need a new super eye candy window manager coded in C.
    Are you making fun of the anti-Mono crowd, or are you serious?

See this.

Dennis and I had planned to have 0.9.0 out by xmas eve but development has slowed a bit and I have been setting up a new server (plus I got myself a job, again ...)

I like these updates.

I believe in naming names and credit and blame where they are due.

I believe in accountability, even in FOSS.

An interesting (though very research intensive) article would
    compare many open source projects and how well they meet their
    release targets.

Quote Originally Posted by FireBurn View Post
    Phoronix - where no news is still news :-D
    I feel these posts are good because it shows that Phoronix is doing book keeping. They want to be the first to get the information out there so they are keeping track of when things are supposed to happen so when the time comes they can seek out evidence on what _is_ happening.

And by posting what they find, I don't have to go find it myself. That is, if I was really looking forward to the 0.9 release I don't need to look through the git for branching that might indicate future plans.

Quote Originally Posted by sylware View Post
    compiz is C++ only??
    I must ask- why are you so dead-set against C++?

Because C++ sucks and I wish it would die. It's too bloated and slow compared to C, C-- and assembly. (Sorry, couldn't resist )

On topic now, does anyone care to predict how Compiz will fit in once Gnome 3 is out? With KDE and Gnome having their own compositors enabled by default, Compiz would be left in a pretty tight spot (personally, I don't think I'd bother installing it at all).

Also, is there any progress on vsync support? I think x developers were working on a new protocol to allow compositors to sync to the refresh rate - does anyone know what's the status of that and whether it will be adopted by Compiz?

"Well, $FESTIVE_HOLIDAY is coming up (likely referring to Christmas or New Years)"

You totally ruined the joke/point. :P

It was meant to be religiously neutral on purpose, i.e. "the holidays". More specifically, it was to be defined by whatever terms anyone wanted to use for it.
    Last edited by Yfrwlf; 12-19-2009 at 06:56 AM.