Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Catalyst 9.12 Hotfix released

Hybrid View

Default AMD Catalyst 9.12 Hotfix released

AMD has released a "hotfix" update for 9.12:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...912Hotfix.aspx

This claims to fix issues on both Linux and Windows:

"Hotfix that resolves the mouse being enlarged under Windows® 7, improves performance of OpenGL games, Provides CrossFireX™ support for Eyefinity & Provides support for OpenCL."

I have to wonder though what this "Linux Vista 32/64-bit edition" operating system is at the end of the document.

Edit:
    An interesting tidbit from the "check.sh" script inside the zip:

"# check for 7.5, Map Xorg 7.5 to x740"

Hm? Does that mean this one runs on X.Org 7.5? Can someone test? :P
    Last edited by RealNC; 12-18-2009 at 12:22 PM.

Interesting driver, xvba seems to work again. It does not fully crash with my h264 5.1 testfile but it does not render it correctly. There is no signature in there, so best do a backup of /etc/ati/signature before. ATI should really update the 9-12 driver and replace it by the hotfix.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    There is no signature in there, so best do a backup of /etc/ati/signature before.
    Now that's lame. "Hotfixes" are not supposed to display any watermarks; they are intended for end-users, not beta testers. In Windows AFAIK there's never a watermark on Hotfix drivers.

Interesting driver, xvba seems to work again. It does not fully crash with my h264 5.1 testfile but it does not render it correctly. There is no signature in there, so best do a backup of /etc/ati/signature before. ATI should really update the 9-12 driver and replace it by the hotfix.
    its simple why not the hot-fix driver isn't a 9.12 driver...
    the hot-fix driver is an 10.1 beta or 10.2 alpfa...
    noting more....

the best side of this crapy driver is -openGL3.2 brings software peace to "wine"

first time i think that wine does not use any nvidia only extansion because openGL3.2 do have all needet extansions......

in my point of view.... nvidia is out of the marked !

no one wana nvidia only software anymore!

Still fails on Fedora 12 X.org 7.5.

No, 8.68 is 9-12 not 10-1 which would be 8.69 and 10-2 will be 8.70. xvba is only minimally fixed, i could not crash the system with the one file it used to crash - but it does not decode it at all. all other problems like bad colors are still there. also i do not think that this is the first driver to support opengl 3.2, just the first that changes the version for the older method to show it like nvidia does. nvidia is definitely much more advanced, the only thing that nvidia is behind are dx11 capable cards. Most likely it will be cebit time when you can buy em, but then ati is out of the way completely. for video playback even the new cheap g210 would be enough.

No, 8.68 is 9-12 not 10-1 which would be 8.69 and 10-2 will be 8.70. xvba is only minimally fixed, i could not crash the system with the one file it used to crash - but it does not decode it at all. all other problems like bad colors are still there. also i do not think that this is the first driver to support opengl 3.2, just the first that changes the version for the older method to show it like nvidia does. nvidia is definitely much more advanced, the only thing that nvidia is behind are dx11 capable cards. Most likely it will be cebit time when you can buy em, but then ati is out of the way completely. for video playback even the new cheap g210 would be enough.
    The fix orginal was for 10.1..... but do you trust versions numbers set by amd?
    They only chance the number 8.69 to 8.68x simpel trick to flash people like you!
    Backport the bugfixes/features was the same way.. get the sourcecode out of 10.1 and put it into an 9.12... and recompile it.--
    But... uuh wait..... if you rebuild all the cource with the 8.69 features/bufixes than you have the 10.1 driver?? LOL! thats easy!
    i look at the fglrx driver prozess over 3 years now... ther isn't any bugfix in the stable release over 3 years now! bugfixes are alwys only in the alpfa and beta drivers... in fakt... the next release are alwys the bugfix for the aktual stable release........
    9.12 is the bugfix for 9.11 and 10.1 is the bugfix for 8.12....

"all other problems like bad colors are still there."

i'm realy realy sorry abaut this but i think the FGLRX can't have some bugfixes/features.....

radeon have lagfree 3D-Desktop i think fglrx will never have this.

radeon will have complete teearing free viedeo/Desktop/Games i think FGLRX can't every do this.

radeon will have KMS flickere free boot with maximum of console features FGLRX will never ever have KMS or Flicker free boot.

fglrx can't!

FGLRX can't!!!!!!!

realy... they can't!

can not! its impossible!

But Radeon can do it!

"nvidia is definitely much more advanced,"

realy not realy!.... nvidia binäry blob will never have kms!

"but then ati is out of the way completely"

realy? why? the fermi is slower for games in shader power...

fermi also emulates the tessellation in software on the shader units!
    only amd do have fixed function pipeline for the tessellation unit.
    fermi is only a litle bit faster on caculate some double instructions for scientists!
    jo Gamer will ever never ever use this Fermi nvidia feature.

"or video playback even the new cheap g210 would be enough."

amd do have a second chance to deliver good video acceleration.

Radeon will do it be sure!

I wouldn't count on fermi matching up against ati in the dx11 space - fermi is more directed at gpgpu as far as I'm aware. It would be interesting though to see how it matches up in OpenGL.

-- if/when fermi is released.

I am pretty certain that nv will deliver top performance with a new card, which might have got the double price than ati's solution however

Well i found out that hotfix driver has now other "features". Not only the signature file is missing, no even the control file is different that means that basically working hardware is now UNSUPPORTED. ati should at least update the hotfix with a better suited control file.