Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Catalyst 9.12 Hotfix released

Quote Originally Posted by damentz View Post
    So, you're saying that I could replace your graphics card with a Radeon 9800 while you were sleeping and you would never know the difference until you tried to use fglrx.
    i have a X800 in a opteron 144 system on top of my big workstation..

and this pc works fine! very fine ubuntu10.04 runs very very good.
    with a moddet x800 passiv cooled no noise a ssd drive and passiv cooled power unit... yes very nice to watch movies ... the 3Ddesktop runs fast..
    and no fglrx is needet!
    next week a frend buy this old pc from me to watch dvd's and play music on his flat-tv...
    you can sell good old amd opensource driver powered hardware to a high price!

You have a dream about an open source driver, but why don't you invest heavily into AMD when they have a solution that can do all 3 without changing drivers; XRender optimizations / fast 2d (exa possibly), good AIGLX support (for desktop compositing with compiz or kde4's kwin effects), good OpenGL compatibility (play games of today, not less than OpenGL 2.0),
    the OGL version is not so important! you do not need the lastest GSGL version!
    in fact some key features of ogl3.2(wine-extensions) are in the mesa right now...
    in fact OGL2.0 is very nice if you have some non-gsgl OGL3.2 features to.

and possibly video codec decompression or at least XVideo support.
    radeon do have good Xviedeo support and nvidias solution for viedeo decompression is only waste of energy watch at the phoronix artikles XViedeo+cpu use less powerconsuming than the nvidia joke.

And also, nvidia's "power waste" when using vdpau means the GPU is being utilized. That frees up the CPU to do other things that are time critical, preventing decoding underruns, pops and clicks, frame drops, etc. On an ION net book, that's incredibly important. I would never use XV instead of VDPAU if I had the choice on that small little thing.
    buy a faster cpu is greener than using nvidia 'joke' vdpau!

Nvidia's driver also underclocks the GPU and VRAM when it's not being utilized by default, something I haven't seen any of ati's cards to hands free in Linux. There is the DynamicClocks or dynclks module parameter with the radeon module, but I don't know how effective that is at the moment.
    linux kernel 2.6.34 will have full powersaving features for the radeon driver!

EDIT: just learned that Qaridium is a sidux fan - probably explains his tendencies to lie so blatantly and intensively like the rest of the sidux forum commoners as if they have a piece of helpful information that no one else can find. In other words, fabricated knowledge.
    some sidux features are realy nice.. but right now i use kubuntu! --

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Power usage does not matter for hardcore oss ati users, nor the completely reversed point of view for video accelleration. I try to use the max possible out of a given card, therefore i allow the install of fglrx very easyly for my system (even for legacy cards). fglrx has of course huge problems with xv, so when you really need an application that has got no opengl output then you really have lost. Then you have to switch between ati oss for xv and fglrx for more demanding Linux games all the time or boot another os for games. But a strong ATI believer will just praise the current state and dream of better days.
    "Power usage does not matter for hardcore oss ati users,"

right!... this feature do not allow play games and do not allow accelerate any movie and do not allow do anything better on your pc...

only save money

"nor the completely reversed point of view for video accelleration."

you also can save energy by not using nvidia vpdau viedeo acceleration buy a faster cpu save more power than nvidias viedeo acceleration.

"But a strong ATI believer will just praise the current state and dream of better days"

'Kano' no not neet better days he need more 'nvidia' payment...

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    why do you need future visions when you could buy 2nd cards MUCH cheaper when the "future" is the current time especially for oss drivers buying new highend hardware is the worst idea you can have got. Even the absolutely cheapest card with the chip series you want to test is enough for that.
    amd/bridgman says something similar to me.

"you do not need highend-card for linux you can't overload a 4850/5770 on linux"

but i do not belive bridgman in this point because he is a old-man and not a Gamerz ...
    my point of view : if you need a 5890 and 2Gb-vram to play ArmA2 on windows...
    you also need a 5890 2Gbvram for playing ArmA2 in wine!

and kano no you can't test the wine speed of a 5890++ on a 5350---

but yes kano can do it... i know

and this pc works fine! very fine ubuntu10.04 runs very very good.
    with a moddet x800 passiv cooled no noise a ssd drive and passiv cooled power unit... yes very nice to watch movies ... the 3Ddesktop runs fast..
    and no fglrx is needet!
    next week a frend buy this old pc from me to watch dvd's and play music on his flat-tv...
    you can sell good old amd opensource driver powered hardware to a high price!
    Any archaic hardware that is not in production will cost more to buy, because they are now rare.

But, to put into perspective - I have a Geforce 8400m in my laptop with an atrocious 64bit memory bandwidth interface and 128mb of video ram. It performs faster than your x800 at a fraction of the cost, specifications, and power usage. Whose graphics card is more valuable? You might think nvidia's card is because the nvidia drivers are more complete and efficient for the Linux desktop than the open source radeon ones.

the OGL version is not so important! you do not need the lastest GSGL version!
    That's a case by case basis and the answer is usually yes. If your driver version of OGL is less than the application requires, you can't use that application. Your freedom for which games you can play is cut sharply.

in fact some key features of ogl3.2(wine-extensions) are in the mesa right now...
    in fact OGL2.0 is very nice if you have some non-gsgl OGL3.2 features to.
    Those extensions are implemented in software and are not optimized for performance (basically it's useless from a user stand point). It would be nice to revisit this when Gallium 3D implements newer versions of the OpenGL api.

radeon do have good Xviedeo support and nvidias solution for viedeo decompression is only waste of energy watch at the phoronix artikles XViedeo+cpu use less powerconsuming than the nvidia joke.
    That's fine to think that way, it's your fault if you shoot yourself in the foot and can't watch HD videos and movies on your netbook. You also accidentally get support for playing real games, using desktop compositing, and using this netbook on future, more demanding, operating systems.

I also looked at the phoronix article again. The VDPAU solution uses 0.3 more watts than the XVideo solution over the course of the benchmarked video. This accounts for maybe 30 seconds less battery life... can anyone here do the math for something this immeasurable?

You would have to be very retarded to buy the intel gma netbook solution because you think xvideo is more power efficient. However, if it cost 1/3 or 1/4 less than the nvidia ion solution, that's a little more reasonable.

buy a faster cpu is greener than using nvidia 'joke' vdpau!
    No, buying a faster processor uses lots of power. You buy a low profile discrete graphics card and let it do the decoding and filtering - it's more efficient that way.

linux kernel 2.6.34 will have full powersaving features for the radeon driver!
    Me and everyone else interested in the open source drivers for amd have been waiting for something like this for several years already. I suppose another year after distributions begin utilizing the new kernel and user space catches up is completely acceptable.

some sidux features are realy nice.. but right now i use kubuntu! --
    Good, things are heading that direction.

Any archaic hardware that is not in production will cost more to buy, because they are now rare.
    bullshit matters? you can get a working c64 over the internet for 1-20€...

but you can't get a modern pc for playing youtube (flash) and 3d-desktops effect for 20€ ....

i sell my c64 long time ago and i never buy a c64 again.

But, to put into perspective - I have a Geforce 8400m in my laptop with an atrocious 64bit memory bandwidth interface and 128mb of video ram. It performs faster than your x800 at a fraction of the cost, specifications, and power usage. Whose graphics card is more valuable? You might think nvidia's card is because the nvidia drivers are more complete and efficient for the Linux desktop than the open source radeon ones.
    LOOOOOOOOOL ;-)

you really wana compare this computers?

Geforce 8400m 64bit memory bandwidth interface and 128mb of video ram.
    Radeon X800 XT PE 520mhz gddr3-560mhz-256mb vram 256bit-vram-interface 35Gb/s

this peace of X800 cost me 0€! because i get it from a retired'old' computer.

"It performs faster than your x800"

Never! this card burn your 8400m to the hell!

"You might think nvidia's card is because the nvidia drivers are more complete and efficient for the Linux desktop than the open source radeon ones."

really? i can do all i want with the opensource driver......

magic 'nvidia' driver LOL

That's a case by case basis and the answer is usually yes. If your driver version of OGL is less than the application requires, you can't use that application. Your freedom for which games you can play is cut sharply.
    your 8400m 64bit superslow inteface can't play any modern game because to slow.

X800 directX9 openGL2.x... 256bit interface 35gb/s...

my 4670 only have 27Gb/s!

Those extensions are implemented in software and are not optimized for performance (basically it's useless from a user stand point). It would be nice to revisit this when Gallium 3D implements newer versions of the OpenGL api.
    a compare from a nvidia 8400m 64bit superslow interface to 35GB/s... mmh...

o yes 'not optimized for performance'

yes your card is not optimized for performance.....

but thats not a driver bug its a hardware bug!

That's fine to think that way, it's your fault if you shoot yourself in the foot and can't watch HD videos and movies on your netbook.
    right because i do not have a netbook!.......

and hd viedeos on a netbook what a bullshit only 10" display...

640pixelX480 pixel is the nativ resulution of a 10" display! ..

LOL 640x480 superhigh HD LOL Blueray power on a 10" tft.. LOL

You also accidentally get support for playing real games, using desktop compositing, and using this netbook on future, more demanding, operating systems.
    o yes... real games? and 64bit vram-interface LOL.......

5GB/s vs 35GB/s LOL..............

my pc have faster RAM than your Vram is!
    my pc have 256bit ddr2 667 ram interface

my PC win on software openGL in vesa against your 8400m nvidia bullshit card!

I also looked at the phoronix article again. The VDPAU solution uses 0.3 more watts than the XVideo solution over the course of the benchmarked video. This accounts for maybe 30 seconds less battery life... can anyone here do the math for something this immeasurable?
    second place means you are not the winner!

No, buying a faster processor uses lots of power. You buy a low profile discrete graphics card and let it do the decoding and filtering - it's more efficient that way.
    in kano words.... Proof that or stop talking bullshit!

Qaridarium, thank you for this enlightening reply on what you believe is true. There is no doubt that you are not qualified to speak on behalf of the open source radeon driver.

Every line of yours contradicts the reality of what is currently available through a Linux distribution or upstream git.

You don't know what you're talking about - I'm done here.
    Last edited by damentz; 01-10-2010 at 02:26 AM.

Shhhh... Don't argue with Quasimodo or he will crush your 8400m with his X800's cooler!

On topic:

I really like the 9.12 hotfix release.

1. I am able to make use of xvba acceleration, which indeed is fast. Some small glitches with some hd movies still, though. But hey. It isn't officially released yet.
    2. I can actually play games with wine now all my source games works with highest graphic settings (without HDR lightning. That is terrible slow). Yes wine runs perfectly well actually.
    3. My opencl works Wauu, this is going to be cool playing with sooner or later.

So all in all a great release AMD. The day when xvba stabilizes and opencl is released is soon here Actually if you think about how much fglrx has changed since jan 2008, its quite impressive.

My next card will definitely be and AMD/ATI again.
    Mostly because I got all the features I want and I have free oss drivers available.

EDIT:
    Oh and I almost forgot. Damn I love xrandr 1.2 support. Using the native gnome screen tool to change hdmi/vga/laptop screen settings is just nice to have. Though this has worked since fglrx 9.8 or something, but worth mentioning I think.
    Last edited by tball; 01-10-2010 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tball View Post
    On topic:

I really like the 9.12 hotfix release.

1. I am able to make use of xvba acceleration, which indeed is fast. Some small glitches with some hd movies still, though. But hey. It isn't officially released yet.
    2. I can actually play games with wine now all my source games works with highest graphic settings (without HDR lightning. That is terrible slow). Yes wine runs perfectly well actually.
    3. My opencl works Wauu, this is going to be cool playing with sooner or later.

So all in all a great release AMD. The day when xvba stabilizes and opencl is released is soon here Actually if you think about how much fglrx has changed since jan 2008, its quite impressive.

My next card will definitely be and AMD/ATI again.
    Mostly because I got all the features I want and I have free oss drivers available.

EDIT:
    Oh and I almost forgot. Damn I love xrandr 1.2 support. Using the native gnome screen tool to change hdmi/vga/laptop screen settings is just nice to have. Though this has worked since fglrx 9.8 or something, but worth mentioning I think.
    nice :-) and in the word of Kano :"if you wana working driver buy a 3dFX card"

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    nice :-) and in the word of Kano :"if you wana working driver buy a 3dFX card"
    s/3dFX/nVidia/

Please, say more so I can substitute more of your lies. I don't even have to look for them, they jump out at me.