Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: AMD Catalyst 9.12 Hotfix released

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    nvidia loses on all other stuff tesslation,ray-tracing,physics,shader-effects,game openCL speedups,opensource drivers,price and power-consuming and idle consuming.
    Where are the facts to prove that? Especially the OpenCL, power-consuming and idle consuming parts...

Quote Originally Posted by mirv View Post
    I for one hope that fermi is competitive to AMD's offerings for no other reason than to keep competition going. Being said of course, I think fermi is going after a slightly different crowd, so I guess we'll all see what happens.
    I think Q is right on one thing: NVIDIA can no longer live exclusively from desktop graphics cards, considering the fact that more and more people are only using AMD or Intel IGPs nowadays. So I believe the future for NVIDIA is Tegra2 and high-end cards for GPGPU. However, I don't worry, they are smart and will find the correct solutions, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by gbeauche View Post
    Where are the facts to prove that? Especially the OpenCL, power-consuming and idle consuming parts...

I think Q is right on one thing: NVIDIA can no longer live exclusively from desktop graphics cards, considering the fact that more and more people are only using AMD or Intel IGPs nowadays. So I believe the future for NVIDIA is Tegra2 and high-end cards for GPGPU. However, I don't worry, they are smart and will find the correct solutions, as usual.
    i do not mean openCL in general only game stuff and yes ray-tracing and physics..
    "Where are the facts to prove that? " 1,x tflops on nvidia side and 2,7tflops(5870) on amd side... if you benchmark a pure mathematic scenario there will be a clear winner (openCL..)

"power-consuming "

bigger ram interface brings more power-consuming that is pure physics!

"and idle consuming parts"

more transistors and more not used transistors heat-up your chip and brings more amperes..... more powerconsuming.

fermi have up to 40% more transistors for less Mathematik calculate power.
    nvidia waste transistors on the gaming market on ECC and extra double-instruction power.

idle part if you clock down a 256bit interface is less than if you clock down a 384 bit interface...
    1/3 on idle only for the bigger interface...

although there are some early indications that fermi will be a bit power hungry, everything is pure speculation until some proper benchmarks with the board are released (and even then, give the drivers some time to mature for it).

I came here to see if I had a reason to try replacing my current radeon driver with fglrx but all I got was the forum troll ranting about NVidia going bankrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by that guy View Post
    I came here to see if I had a reason to try replacing my current radeon driver with fglrx but all I got was the forum troll ranting about NVidia going bankrupt.
    that would depend - if you're not having any problems with the radeon driver, don't replace it. If you have an "older" card not supported by fglrx, you can't replace it.
    What card are you using, kernel, etc etc etc?

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    He didn't break any forum rules, so he can't be banned, you fascists.

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2...fessor_be.html
    Title: 'City of Heroes' character 'Twixt' becomes game's most hated outcast courtesy of Loyola professor

This professor only played by the rules, he's now a social outcast.

Like sidux and other strict organizations, following rules verbatim leaves many social flaws open to exploit. This lets questionable and irritating behavior be an acceptable form of social exchange and also allows innocent behavior to be severely punished by accident.

This method of governing is primitive. It helps people that are brainless make decisions better than their own stupid ideas. However, this method also prohibits thoughtful actions from being executed.

You're a human, use the forum rules as a suggestion to keep your common sense on track, not to make the decisions for you.

Actually, the only problem with Qaridarium is dyslexia. His points aren't any more "trollish" than other people's. It's just the way he writes the stuff that people find annoying. Dyslexia combined with his really poor English makes for quite ugly posts, but still, I don't think someone should be banned for being dyslectic and sucking at English.

Quote Originally Posted by damentz View Post
    Like sidux and other strict organizations, following rules verbatim leaves many social flaws open to exploit. This lets questionable and irritating behavior be an acceptable form of social exchange and also allows innocent behavior to be severely punished by accident.
    Like sidux? The Linux distribution? I don't understand this...

Quote Originally Posted by yotambien View Post
    Like sidux? The Linux distribution? I don't understand this...
    -sidux hurts you if you buy a amd card because amd open-up the specs and pay people to make the open-source driver for example a hd5870 and now you can use VESA on sidux because the sidux kernel blocks the FGLRX out!

in the end amd does what they want(opensource) and sidux kick amd in the balls for this!

Vesa because the radeon is not ready for R800 based cards.

Currently it has nothing to do with the kernel, when you do a dist-upgrade - that's why you would like to install sid, do you - you will get xserver 1.7.4 and then fglrx is not working whatever you try.

http://packages.debian.org/sid/xserver-xorg-core