Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 220

Thread: R600 Open-Source Driver WIth GLSL, OpenGL 2.0

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,829

    Default R600 Open-Source Driver WIth GLSL, OpenGL 2.0

    Phoronix: R600 Open-Source Driver WIth GLSL, OpenGL 2.0

    If Catalyst 9.12 for Linux and its changes didn't deliver on what you wanted for your Christmas wishes, perhaps this change to their open-source driver does deliver on one of your hopes. The ATI R600/700 open-source 3D stack should now be OpenGL 2.0 compatible (compared to OpenGL 1.5 previously) and the GLSL (GL Shading Language) support should be "mostly" completed. AMD's Richard Li recently introduced a commit that enables GL2 and there has been other AMD/ATI 3D work going on too...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzgyNQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Shouldn't Gallium Core Drive for R600-R800 be changed from TODO to WIP? That is what VMware is working on, right?

    And perhaps HDMI Audio for R600/R700 from WIP to Mostly or Done?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Shouldn't Gallium Core Drive for R600-R800 be changed from TODO to WIP? That is what VMware is working on, right?
    AFAIK the VMWare folks are primarily working on (a) the Gallium3D driver for their emulated SVGA hardware, and (b) the non-driver portions of the Gallium3D framework (ie Mesa, Xorg, GL, VG, CL etc... state trackers along with refining the internal APIs).

    Corbin (MostAwesomeDude) mentioned that he was starting on a Gallium3D driver for 6xx-8xx but that's all I have heard. Richard is looking forward to working on Gallium3D as well; best guess is that will happen after (a) some testing / fixing on 6xx-7xx GLSL, and (b) getting inital 3D engine support working on Evergreen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    And perhaps HDMI Audio for R600/R700 from WIP to Mostly or Done?
    I suspect it's still treated as "WIP" because the first patches are just working their way into the kernel tree now and haven't had much general testing there. It probably is coming up on time to switch to "Mostly" though...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonix View Post
    Sooo.. just to sum it up: R600+ can choose between radeon and fglrx if they want (useable) 3d accel (--> GLSL) and <=R500 users have to use an old fglrx? Is this correct? *THUMBS UP* to ATi.. definately my last ati/amd board..
    Huh ? Where are you getting that ?

    GLSL was enabled in the Gallium3D driver for 3xx-5xx *before* it was enabled in the classic mesa driver for 6xx-7xx. Neither one is ready for general use yet, both are being tested and fixed. Richard enabled GLSL so that application testing could *start* (including making sure that enabling GLSL didn't cause previously working games to break), not because the work was *finished*.
    Last edited by bridgman; 12-19-2009 at 12:21 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    215

    Default

    And where's the work on GLSL and OpenGL 2.0 on Mesa for R300-R500 cards? Is it something about the same level or more/less advanced?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    404

    Default

    bridgman already answered your question, Xeros. GLSL support for r300-500 cards is in about the same state, or slightly further progressed.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    94

    Default

    to me it simply seems as though the honeymoon period with the open source drivers is gradually coming to an end, as more and more people forget about the caveats of fglrx and keep running into the limitations of the radeon drivers.

    i have had my laptop for about 2 years now, and it's still quite capable in my opinion, and i don't think my budget will allow me to get a new one and get my money's worth for perhaps another 2 years. i think my r500 card is more than enough for most of my needs at the moment, however i feel cheated to not be able to use it to it's total potential.

    i don't think anyone is really impressed anymore by the open source driver's hability to run compiz or do accelerated video .. being able to use our hardware up to it's specificated capacities really isn't too much to ask for.

    so anyway, keep up the good work, but never forget that actual people paid actual money for your hardware.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xeros View Post
    And where's the work on GLSL and OpenGL 2.0 on Mesa for R300-R500 cards? Is it something about the same level or more/less advanced?
    Don't know how far it is. But before this becomes yet another thread full of complaints from owners of pre-R600 cards. I suggest you all take a look at the git logs, there are far more commits for r300/r300g and more people working on r300/r300g than there are on r600.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Richard enabled GLSL so that application testing could *start* (including making sure that enabling GLSL didn't cause previously working games to break), not because the work was *finished*.
    Unfortunately, is *does* break some games. Quake Live for example runs dead slow with GLSL enabled, I assume it's using the software renderer. From what I have experienced in the past regarding Mesa-git updates, this will be fixed sooner than I could imagine.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    215

    Default

    Thanks for replies. I've read about R300 work with Gallium3D but I wanted to know what of that has been already backported(?) to Mesa as it it's going to distributions sooner than Gallium3D.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    AFAIK the VMWare folks are primarily working on (a) the Gallium3D driver for their emulated SVGA hardware, and (b) the non-driver portions of the Gallium3D framework (ie Mesa, Xorg, GL, VG, CL etc... state trackers along with refining the internal APIs).

    Corbin (MostAwesomeDude) mentioned that he was starting on a Gallium3D driver for 6xx-8xx but that's all I have heard. Richard is looking forward to working on Gallium3D as well; best guess is that will happen after (a) some testing / fixing on 6xx-7xx GLSL, and (b) getting inital 3D engine support working on Evergreen.
    So VMware is taking a gamble that it will get done when they are ready

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •