Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: R600 Open-Source Driver WIth GLSL, OpenGL 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    games sponsored by nvidia with nvidia promotion features...
    Oh yeah. How I liked that "the way it's meant to be played" and another more logo in the intro that you often could not fastforward/interrupt. Looks the same way stupid like "games for windows".

Anything, also games, should just stick to standards. Real standards with published specs. Like OpenGL. So then it is hopefully clear how many features your chip can do in hardware and what needs to be done by CPU.
    Okay, I see that DX tells what can (hopefully) actually be done in HW. And maybe MS offered tools for easier programming to the game devs. But even then if a game needs DX9 for best display then it should work with any DX9 card absolutely independent of chip/card brand.

edit: Oh, damn nerdish behavior. Posting on xmas here. Even though I "have a life".
    It's christmas so merry xmas to you folks!

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Sure, and then everyone says "gee the ATI drivers must have bugs" because the hardware is different. No thanks.

If this is true, it needs to change.
    yes.. but...... the wine team only has the manpower for only 1 directX->OpenGL code....

only 1..... means.... no extra for via no extra for intel no extra for ati/amd

Quote Originally Posted by Adarion View Post
    Oh yeah. How I liked that "the way it's meant to be played" and another more logo in the intro that you often could not fastforward/interrupt. Looks the same way stupid like "games for windows".

Anything, also games, should just stick to standards. Real standards with published specs. Like OpenGL. So then it is hopefully clear how many features your chip can do in hardware and what needs to be done by CPU.
    Okay, I see that DX tells what can (hopefully) actually be done in HW. And maybe MS offered tools for easier programming to the game devs. But even then if a game needs DX9 for best display then it should work with any DX9 card absolutely independent of chip/card brand.

edit: Oh, damn nerdish behavior. Posting on xmas here. Even though I "have a life".
    It's christmas so merry xmas to you folks!
    yes thats true..... games for windows and games for nvidia is complete stupid..

winehq wiki shows a lot of exampels of nvidia only features in games...
    and the only way to bring this to an ati card is generaly dedect the Graphic-card as a nvidia one.....

:-( .....

specially about texture vertex Fetch if a dx9 game supports this the game look much better on TVF Water looks brilliant in a matter of fact you have 2 diverend games if a nvidia dx9 card shows TVF and a ati does not.
    if everyone bring the same work to work with the ati render path the game not realy the same. witout TVF the game is worst.

my personal solution to this is...... R600+ hd2xxx+ do have TVF

i do not wana play a Dx9 game witout Textured Vertex shader°!

and yes very xmas....

Quote Originally Posted by jntesteves View Post
    Wine does the right thing reporting the right hardware to the application when it can correctly detect it. Since MESA is no valid hardware vendor it falls back to some nvidia card with equivalent features. Nothing worg there. Sure they could use a better hardware detection mechanism, (especially for the OSS drivers) but right now this one is working +or- fine.

People should stop conjuring their conspiracy theorys in this forum and write all this shit in their own personal blog where only people interested in reading shit would see it.

Those AMD devs are waaay too nice. Don't know how they keep answering these guys.
    thats only because that was a real problem over the last 4-5 years now...

realy..... every wine version on the past shows tonns of nvidia only extansions needed............and a lot of driver bugs.....

bridgman know that... that was a nightmare!

wine 1.1.35 openGL3.2 on catalyst 9.12 shows only 1 more feature is needet.
    ""fixme:d3d:state_vertexblend_w Vertex blending enabled, but not supported by hardware""

in the past the list was a mile long.

If you don't like how wine detects your hardware, then fix it and send patches to wine maintainers. Moaning like emasculated dogs won't make any difference.

the crazy opensource devs starts support openGL3.2-extansions on R5xx!!!
    You don't know what OpenGL 3.2 is, do you? 5 out of 9 approved extensions are supported on _all_ hardware and 4 of those 5 are mainly for compatibility with wine. There is nothing crazy about it.

~ Marek

i do not wana play a Dx9 game witout Textured Vertex shader°!
    Qaridarium, can you name a few games (not tech demos) that use VTF of DX9-level hardware? I'm asking, because VTF on Geforce 6 & 7 were very limited and rather slow (and of course R500 didn't support VTF at all). It's telling that ATI's R2VB workaround was almost always faster even on Nvidia hardware of that era. VTF only became feasible with DX10 hardware (Geforce 8 / R600).

As many others have pointed out, it's wine's job to report whether the hardware supports VTF. If the hardware doesn't and wine says that it does, you can't expect the game to work correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium;
    so fare i know the openGL3.x is already in work...... because openGL2 is finisch right now.
    No it isn't finish. Without proper power management and optimization it will stay at slideshow performance for a looong time.

yes.... there is no first day support.
    but we have the specs now! thats much more than Nvidia have!
    I'm not comparing to nVidia here but its obviously less than intel has. At least the intel opensource stack has intel + tungsten graphics developers behind it till the end. AMD opensource stack has novell's neverendingstory radeonhd driver for a start and complete oblivion in radeon drivers after some improvements.

realy? you also can read the specs and fight back!
    I always appreciate people doing it, but many people (including me) don't have the knowledge and ability to develop today's huge and complicated as hell graphics device drivers or device drivers in general.
    Last edited by barbarbaron; 12-25-2009 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    Qaridarium, can you name a few games (not tech demos) that use VTF of DX9-level hardware? I'm asking, because VTF on Geforce 6 & 7 were very limited and rather slow (and of course R500 didn't support VTF at all). It's telling that ATI's R2VB workaround was almost always faster even on Nvidia hardware of that era. VTF only became feasible with DX10 hardware (Geforce 8 / R600).

As many others have pointed out, it's wine's job to report whether the hardware supports VTF. If the hardware doesn't and wine says that it does, you can't expect the game to work correctly.
    "Qaridarium, can you name a few games (not tech demos) that use VTF of DX9-level hardware?"

yes i can!

directX versions of the opensource-Spring-Engine!
    ArmA2 (Dx9c game)
    Far Cry
    "X3" dx version..... the OpenGL Linux port does only work full featured on nvidia! not ati/amd (the demo shows me a lot of grafic problems on ati nativ-Linux game)
    Oblivion
    IL2/IL forgotten battles

realy..... nerly all games have a nvidia render path with VTF ....
    and the VTF version allways looks better!

"It's telling that ATI's R2VB workaround was almost always faster even on Nvidia hardware of that era."

realy? why do i not know any game with R2VB support ?

"VTF only became feasible with DX10 hardware (Geforce 8 / R600)"

the real Point is! you can use the better looking VTF nvidia-only version in directX9 games on ati/amd with an R600+ in wine!

Quote Originally Posted by barbarbaron View Post
    No it isn't finish. Without proper power management and optimization it will stay at slideshow performance for a looong time.
    not realy! my passiv Cooled HD4670 do not need power-management!

not realy! i never have any speed problems!

never! warzone2100 runs like hell on the opensource driver... chromium runs very fast.....sauerbraten runs fast to......

Loong time????? i not have any slideshow problem on the opensource driver!

i have lag problems with the FGLRX if i use AA chromium lags on fast mouse movement.....

warzone2100 on an standart FGLRX have massiv Tearing and some textures Flickering... and textures are transparent .... graphic bug!

on radeon.. there is NO graphic bug!

on warzone2100 the opensource driver is the Winner!

if you want i can make screenshots!

I'm not comparing to nVidia here but its obviously less than intel has. At least the intel opensource stack has intel developers behind it till the end.
    "I'm not comparing to nVidia"

Realy? but i do this! nvidia is Epic bullshit!

"but its obviously less than intel has"

i have a intel IGP problem PC... please can we just Replace/trade intel one vs amd one?
    the problem Viedeos does slideshow :-( next year i need to buy a new pc for my mum because of the intel IGP bullshit!

I always appreciate people doing it, but many people (including me) don't have the knowledge and ability to develop today's huge and complicated as hell graphics device drivers or device drivers in general.
    ok.. thats ok... spend money to mostawesomedude!

on warzone2100 the opensource driver is the Winner!
    warzone2100 doesn't need OGL 2.0/GLSL. It runs like rabbit with my X1950XT too. In sauerbraten try turning on the glsl options (the red ones) and start watching the slideshow.
    Last edited by barbarbaron; 12-25-2009 at 09:08 AM.