Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 220

Thread: R600 Open-Source Driver WIth GLSL, OpenGL 2.0

  1. #141
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Hmm nothing more I can say... what does qaridarium mean by the way?

    I got tropics demo running here with well... 34 fps
    I guess the new 9800gt will further sh** to its pants in unigine heaven when it comes out
    I think the performance will be much better with ET Quake Wars though. Till then take care.

  2. #142
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,598

    Default

    FireGL cards do not work better with Linux for normal apps. The only thing different is that there are features enabled in the opengl stack then such a card is identified which is disabled for standard cards. Then apps like specviewperf run faster. So it is hard to believe that supporting standard cards was really hard to do - the chips have been always the same. Crossplattform apps like Maya will most likely never use D3D.

  3. #143
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Most oss ati driver fans boot Win to play games, is that better then?
    I think I''m qualified to answer that. I used nVidia's blob and I *still* dual booted to Windows for games. Even with their support and WINE doing as best they can, it's still troublesome for many, many games which has nothing to do with the graphbics card at all.

    I did buy a HD 5850 for my "Wintendo" and to develop the OSS drivers on, because I hope to improve them. I bought AMD because they open sourced the specs, that's money in their pocket. Eventually I think I can move games from Windows to OSS-backed WINE, that's my gain. I don't need it to be a win-win for everyone, just for myself......

  4. #144
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barbarbaron View Post
    Hmm nothing more I can say... what does qaridarium mean by the way?

    I got tropics demo running here with well... 34 fps

    i test it to:

    there is Water! ;-) 'no bug' shows to me!



    Quote Originally Posted by barbarbaron View Post
    I guess the new 9800gt will further sh** to its pants in unigine heaven when it comes out
    heaven need a DX11 (amd)card for fullfeatured ......

    Quote Originally Posted by barbarbaron View Post
    I think the performance will be much better with ET Quake Wars though. Till then take care.
    realy? how care abaut that i always have 60+fps

  5. #145
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    FireGL cards do not work better with Linux for normal apps. The only thing different is that there are features enabled in the opengl stack then such a card is identified which is disabled for standard cards. Then apps like specviewperf run faster. So it is hard to believe that supporting standard cards was really hard to do - the chips have been always the same. Crossplattform apps like Maya will most likely never use D3D.
    if you have a company... and you need 10 workstations...
    for exampel drop macos and drop linux brings you a hole money!

    10*(300(card)+100€(windows)) =4000€
    faster 5850/5870......

    for the same speed you need 2 pices of 4870 based fireGL cards...
    10*2*1500€ (linux here macos is much more expensiv)

    30000€

    drop Crossplattform apps brings the company 30000-4000=26000€!!!!
    and!,,, the DXD based CAD software is cheaper to!

    for an exampel http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroStation

    unix cad software moves to directX because of the cheaper hardware and saving money for the companies!

    second exampel:

    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoCAD

    "AutoCAD unterstützt seit Release 14 nur Microsoft Windows als Betriebssystem."

    thats mean 'autocad 14' only support windows ....... because openGL is dropet!
    Last edited by Qaridarium; 12-27-2009 at 12:56 AM.

  6. #146
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    if you have a company... and you need 10 workstations...
    for exampel drop macos and drop linux brings you a hole money!

    10*(300(card)+100€(windows)) =4000€
    faster 5850/5870......

    for the same speed you need 2 pices of 4870 based fireGL cards...
    10*2*1500€ (linux here macos is much more expensiv)

    30000€

    drop Crossplattform apps brings the company 30000-4000=26000€!!!!
    and!,,, the DXD based CAD software is cheaper to!

    for an exampel http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroStation

    unix cad software moves to directX because of the cheaper hardware and saving money for the companies!

    second exampel:

    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoCAD

    "AutoCAD unterstützt seit Release 14 nur Microsoft Windows als Betriebssystem."

    thats mean 'autocad 14' only support windows ....... because openGL is dropet!
    I wish you knew what you talked about.

  7. #147
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barkas View Post
    I wish you knew what you talked about.
    I wish I was able to understand a word he says.

  8. #148
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vash63 View Post
    I wish I was able to understand a word he says.
    ok practice we bild a directX-workstation and a Professional OpenGL one!

    have a look!

    the directX one:

    http://geizhals.at/a465649.html ASUS , Radeon HD 5870 339€
    http://geizhals.at/a458478.html Windows 7 Professional 64Bit 115,97€
    http://geizhals.at/a420753.html Autodesk: AutoCAD LT 2010 1139,13€

    OpenGL one
    http://geizhals.at/a386534.html ATI FirePro 3D V8700 736,10
    http://geizhals.at/a386534.html ATI FirePro 3D V8700 736,10
    (you need 2 of them for the same "shader" speed)
    Catia V6 2009 6000€ und up+++


    directX workstation: 1594€
    OpenGL workstation: 7475€


    you save 5878€ per workstation if you drop openGL.....

    OpenGL RIP on the CAD market. . .

  9. #149
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,281

    Default

    Sorry Q, but I don't understand your point either.

    Why are you specifying workstation cards for OpenGL but not for DirectX ? In both cases you either need the workstation optimizations (for best performance with huge models) or you don't... and if you *don't* need the optimizations etc... then you might as well use a consumer card for OpenGL as well.

    AutoCAD has been Windows-only for fifteen years; we're not really talking about a current trend there.

    EDIT - how did we end up having this discussion in the Open Source 6xx/7xx GLSL thread ?
    Last edited by bridgman; 12-28-2009 at 12:08 AM.

  10. #150
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,908

    Default

    Yeah, AMD markets those expensive FirePro cards for both Windows/DirectX and Linux/OpenGL users. The 5870 works equally well under both API's as well. You get the same thing if you look at Nvidia's lineup of gamer vs professional cards.

    Is this the heart of your argument about how AMD is trying to kill OpenGL? Cuz i never understood where that was coming from.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •