Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 220

Thread: R600 Open-Source Driver WIth GLSL, OpenGL 2.0

  1. #151
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Is this the heart of your argument about how AMD is trying to kill OpenGL? Cuz i never understood where that was coming from.
    It came from this page: http://unigine.com/download/
    Have a look at the known driver issues with ati cards when using OpenGL.
    You may also have a look at my previous post (138) here: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...=21068&page=14

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barbarbaron View Post
    It came from this page: http://unigine.com/download/
    Have a look at the known driver issues with ati cards when using OpenGL.
    You may also have a look at my previous post (138) here: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...=21068&page=14
    Oh, sorry, I confused you and q. If the Unigine problems mean ATI is trying to kill OpenGL, then I guess the Mesa and OSS developers are really trying to can it, huh?

  3. #153
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Oh, sorry, I confused you and q. If the Unigine problems mean ATI is trying to kill OpenGL, then I guess the Mesa and OSS developers are really trying to can it, huh?
    You extend the meaning of pointless beyond its original context.

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Sorry Q, but I don't understand your point either.

    Why are you specifying workstation cards for OpenGL but not for DirectX ? In both cases you either need the workstation optimizations (for best performance with huge models) or you don't... and if you *don't* need the optimizations etc... then you might as well use a consumer card for OpenGL as well.
    be sure the architur of openGL gives much more power to AMD to cut out extansione/features.

    in the directX world amd can't cut out some features because directx hase some core features thats mean every game and every programm und microsoft use this features...
    now you can build a CAD only up to this features CORE-DirectX !

    in the OpenGL world if you cut out this features the CPU render the exstansion means SLOW...
    in the DirectXworld the CORE-DX feature set always renderet by the GPU!

    OOO yes "for best performance" LOL
    yes thats true amd can extra optimation DirectX to..'

    but thats not what i mean.....

    a directX cad runs on a gamer-directX cart much faster than a OpenGL cad on a Gamer-card...

    for exampel BLENDER only use the CPU and very basic openGL 'Gamer-Card' extansions.... because of the war of 'Quatro/FireGL' against openGL......

    in my point of view Quatro/FireGL kills OpenGL!

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto/North Bay Canada
    Posts
    877

    Default

    i respect your point of view. I however get a funny feeling that you are full of shit.

    I can extract this:

    - AMD and Nvidia are killing openGL
    - They cut out OGL features?
    - DX is faster on a gamer card then OGL on a gamer card?
    - Blender uses the cpu alot due to a quatro/firegl war?

    you also note : "but thats not what i mean...."

    Invalidating the first 2/3 of your post.

    I am left slightly confused.

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    be sure the architur of openGL gives much more power to AMD to cut out extansione/features.
    I guess... but AFAIK the differences between the driver stack are in the areas of optimizations and app certifications from workstation ISVs, not extensions/features (unless you call the optimization a feature, of course ).

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    in the directX world amd can't cut out some features because directx hase some core features thats mean every game and every programm und microsoft use this features...
    now you can build a CAD only up to this features CORE-DirectX !

    in the OpenGL world if you cut out this features the CPU render the exstansion means SLOW...
    in the DirectXworld the CORE-DX feature set always renderet by the GPU!
    See above.

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    a directX cad runs on a gamer-directX cart much faster than a OpenGL cad on a Gamer-card...
    Possible. Might be true for workstation cards as well. Do you have any examples where the same app is currently supported on both APIs on the same OS (to eliminate differences between OSes and graphics frameworks) ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    for exampel BLENDER only use the CPU and very basic openGL 'Gamer-Card' extansions.... because of the war of 'Quatro/FireGL' against openGL......
    OK, I'll bite. Which extensions do you think are missing from gaming opengl drivers that cause the Blender devs to only use the most basic features ? Isn't it more likely that the use of a minimal OpenGL set is targeted at open source drivers rather than gaming vs workstation drivers ?

    Your reasoning is excellent as always, but you base your conclusions on "facts" which don't seem to have any grounding in reality, or which are based on over-generalization of a single outlier case. It might be worth a bit of time to validate your underlying "facts" first.
    Last edited by bridgman; 12-28-2009 at 02:41 PM.

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    .ca
    Posts
    402

    Default

    At the risk of getting back on topic:
    Are these "R600 Open-Source Driver WIth GLSL, OpenGL 2.0" good enough to run something like Far Cry(1) in wine?

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by not.sure View Post
    At the risk of getting back on topic:
    Are these "R600 Open-Source Driver WIth GLSL, OpenGL 2.0" good enough to run something like Far Cry(1) in wine?
    You can always try. Personally I haven't seen anything but the trivial tests and demos that come with Mesa render correctly with GLSL.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    .ca
    Posts
    402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    You can always try. Personally I haven't seen anything but the trivial tests and demos that come with Mesa render correctly with GLSL.
    I would, but I don't have the hardware. I'm thinking of dumping my (nvidia) notebook in favour of one with ATI card. And it's very difficult to find any useful info about how much trouble I'd run into in between all the flame wars going on here.

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    985

    Default

    There's a status page of several programs here:

    http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RadeonProgram

    It doesn't list Far Cry, but as you can see most wine games are listed as garbage unfortunately.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •