Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Mesa 7.7.1 & 7.8.0 Released For Open-Source 3D

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,554

    Default Mesa 7.7.1 & 7.8.0 Released For Open-Source 3D

    Phoronix: Mesa 7.7.1 & 7.8.0 Released For Open-Source 3D

    Ian Romanick has just released the 7.7.1 and 7.8.0 versions of the Mesa3D open-source OpenGL stack with the DRI/Gallium3D drivers. As planned, this release is coming right on time for the end of March with Intel preparing to make its quarterly Linux graphics driver update and there is also the release of X Server 1.8 coming in the near future...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODEwOA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bulgaria
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Boring... is the 3D performance going to stay frozen like this for the next 10 years to follow?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    .ca
    Posts
    402

    Default

    Does anyone know what the plans for Debian are w.r.t. Mesa and Gallium3d and kernel drm and nouveau and alike?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sundown View Post
    Boring... is the 3D performance going to stay frozen like this for the next 10 years to follow?
    I'm sure that thanks to your coding efforts, we'll soon see a huge rise of Mesa performance. Right?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Jiiippiiee thank you very much opensource driver team!!!!!

    Mesa7.9 dreams come true :-)

    mesa8 will be the biggest bang ever :-)

    how cares abaut openGL4 in the fglrx? no app and no game for openGL4 everywere!

    if the first games or apps comes for openGL3 the opensource driver will have openGL3 support!

    Mesa8 means for me...... Delete FGLRX.......

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Creve Coeur, Missouri
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    Jiiippiiee thank you very much opensource driver team!!!!!

    Mesa7.9 dreams come true :-)

    mesa8 will be the biggest bang ever :-)

    how cares abaut openGL4 in the fglrx? no app and no game for openGL4 everywere!

    if the first games or apps comes for openGL3 the opensource driver will have openGL3 support!

    Mesa8 means for me...... Delete FGLRX.......
    Seriously?!? I am all for Mesa beating the crap out of FGLRX, but I think you are a bit lost... There is already apps for OpenGL 3 and soon 4. Unigine for example. OpenGL 4 apps will be amazing, and FGLRX already supports them! OGL 4 provides 4 times the amount of possible tesselation of OGL 3. It all translates to more realism. Come to think of it, FGLRX is the FIRST driver to have OpenGL 4 support, not Nvidia for once...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxID10T View Post
    Seriously?!? I am all for Mesa beating the crap out of FGLRX, but I think you are a bit lost... There is already apps for OpenGL 3 and soon 4. Unigine for example. OpenGL 4 apps will be amazing, and FGLRX already supports them! OGL 4 provides 4 times the amount of possible tesselation of OGL 3. It all translates to more realism. Come to think of it, FGLRX is the FIRST driver to have OpenGL 4 support, not Nvidia for once...
    the thing with those fancy new features is, that either your hardware isnt capable of them, or if it is, it is way to slow.
    and if neither of the two is true, then you are one of the lucky 0,00001% pc owners with this hardware

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Creve Coeur, Missouri
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxID10T View Post
    Seriously?!? I am all for Mesa beating the crap out of FGLRX, but I think you are a bit lost... There is already apps for OpenGL 3 and soon 4. Unigine for example. OpenGL 4 apps will be amazing, and FGLRX already supports them! OGL 4 provides 4 times the amount of possible tesselation of OGL 3. It all translates to more realism. Come to think of it, FGLRX is the FIRST driver to have OpenGL 4 support, not Nvidia for once...
    Actually, if you have a Radeon HD 2xxx or newer, you can run up to OpenGL 3.3. If you have a Radeon HD 5xxx, you can run OpenGL 4.0.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxID10T View Post
    Seriously?!? I am all for Mesa beating the crap out of FGLRX, but I think you are a bit lost... There is already apps for OpenGL 3 and soon 4. Unigine for example. OpenGL 4 apps will be amazing, and FGLRX already supports them! OGL 4 provides 4 times the amount of possible tesselation of OGL 3. It all translates to more realism. Come to think of it, FGLRX is the FIRST driver to have OpenGL 4 support, not Nvidia for once...
    I'd say the difference between OGL 3 and 4 is smaller than between 2 and 3. Take that with a big grain of salt though as it's coming from someone who's never worked with OpenGL.

    But if you look only at the release dates of the two specs, it should be true.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by r1348 View Post
    I'm sure that thanks to your coding efforts, we'll soon see a huge rise of Mesa performance. Right?
    Good one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pfanne View Post
    the thing with those fancy new features is, that either your hardware isnt capable of them, or if it is, it is way to slow.
    and if neither of the two is true, then you are one of the lucky 0,00001% pc owners with this hardware
    Not true. The tessellation is actually very fast compared to other techniques which try to simulate it (e.g. parallax occlusion mapping which produces worse results and is 10 times slower, yet still considered one of the best techniques for older hardware).

    -Marek

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •