Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 51

Thread: KDE Software Compilation 4.4 Beta 2 Released

  1. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    Having used all four, I have to agree that both KDE and Gnome are ahead of the competition as far as configuration is concerned.
    KDE and Windows are light years ahead compared to Gnome when comes to configuration.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    KDE and Windows are light years ahead compared to Gnome when comes to configuration.
    KDE maybe, but windows why? You can't change something but your theme.

  3. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    KDE maybe, but windows why? You can't change something but your theme.
    I can configure my screen saver at least. However, maybe C# will allow them to implement this killer feature in Gnome I forgot to mention I meant Windows apps compared to Gnome apps. When comes to KDE not only apps are far more configurable, but DE itself.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    880

    Default

    Can Nautilus do split window layout yet?

    I find this one aspect of Dolphin absolutely golden when moving files around.

    Last edited by mugginz; 12-25-2009 at 09:22 AM.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    I forgot to mention I meant Windows apps compared to Gnome apps. When comes to KDE not only apps are far more configurable, but DE itself.
    Gnome aims to simplicity rather than functionality. Different philosophy, not necessarily censurable. But always you can configure enough of your apps and desktop through the gconf-editor. The rsult with Gnome is a simpler experience, while with KDE a more functional one. With Linux you always choose

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yotambien View Post
    Is that right? The first time I heard of Koffice was when I was looking for a lighter than OO office application.
    Open source doesn't stop anyone from creating plugins, but I sincerely remember KDE speaking against the latest MS doc format .docx... The funny part was that Gnome, which is suposedly totally GNU/FLOSS, wants to support it all.

    That's probably why Gnome wants to split from GNU/FSF...

  7. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    Gnome aims to simplicity rather than functionality. Different philosophy, not necessarily censurable. But always you can configure enough of your apps and desktop through the gconf-editor. The rsult with Gnome is a simpler experience, while with KDE a more functional one. With Linux you always choose
    Yes, Linux gives many options to choose from

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Open source doesn't stop anyone from creating plugins, but I sincerely remember KDE speaking against the latest MS doc format .docx... The funny part was that Gnome, which is suposedly totally GNU/FLOSS, wants to support it all.

    That's probably why Gnome wants to split from GNU/FSF...
    The KOffice developers were pretty involved in the ODF spec, and were very vocal about how bad they thought MS's OOXML spec was. They have never been against including compatibility, though. They have always been very limited in developer manpower, and trying to reverse engineer support for a closed format was going to take tons of work. Even with MS recently opening the specs, it was going to take a lot of development time and they have been focusing more on just getting koffice to run correctly. For example, they recently focused on getting table support working - reading Word documents isn't going to be much good if it can't even display a table correctly. When the news came out about Nokia implementing MS Office compatibility, it was featured pretty prominently by the devs, so I don't think you can say they are against it.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    That's probably why Gnome wants to split from GNU/FSF...
    Some Gnome developers want that, not the Gnome foundation in general.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mugginz View Post
    Can Nautilus do split window layout yet?

    I find this one aspect of Dolphin absolutely golden when moving files around.
    Nautilus 2.29.1:
    Last edited by V!NCENT; 12-25-2009 at 09:22 AM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •