Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 62

Thread: Open ATI Driver To Receive PowerPlay Push?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    The thermal chip information is stored in atombios data tables on all chips. R6xx and R7xx have built in fan/thermal controllers, however, not all oems use them. You still need driver code to actually query the thermal information.
    err... I understood that it was a matter of running ATOM bios byte code for that from r7xx. Wrong?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sylware View Post
    err... I understood that it was a matter of running ATOM bios byte code for that from r7xx. Wrong?
    There is an atom table to initialize the thermal chip, but no tables to query it.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,282

    Default

    I don't think that's right. Information ABOUT the thermal / fan controllers is stored in AtomBIOS and agd5f has pushed the headers required to interpret that information, but AtomBIOS does not contain drivers for the controllers. The BIOS does often initialize the controller at boot so there may be some code in there but AFAIK that code is not set up as an independent "call me" driver.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    south east
    Posts
    338

    Default

    When I think of space ships and ufos' I think about Apple.
    Maybe in the future Apple finally wins. We end up stuck with brushed-metal spaceships and helvetica text.

    I really hope that isn't the case.

    I hope there is a Microsoft planet that is secretly fighting these grey space men. It's almost as if you could make a game. But the Apple faction is strictly limited in it's choice of ships and upgrades.

    Starcraft. yes, Linux would be the Zerg, lots of complicated upgrade paths.

    Apple would be the protos with their expensive upgrades and units.

    Microsoft could be the humans with their easy upgrades and fast generated units.


    sleep

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    68

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by sylware View Post
    AFAIK, it does not.

    "Ripping closed source" means reverse engineering the closed source driver. That's what the people of the nouveau project are doing on the nvidia Linux driver.
    Just a reminder to the AMD assets who lurk around the forum all day when they are not committing changes to mesas git and that sort of thing: This is why I will never buy nvidia graphics cards or even laptops who contain a nvidia chip again. So remind your bosses how important it is to help develop free software drivers.. or we'll all be stuck with intel graphics chips (which would be the only acceptable choice left)

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Russe, Bulgaria
    Posts
    484

    Default

    Yes, please tell them, that with intel graphics, usually comes intel CPU.
    Anyway, today I am happy with 2.6.32 and Mesa 7.7. 3D worked after arch linux update, and went flawlessy(Q3 engines,Google Earth,Compiz). There are bugs here and there, but I know it is a matter of time. Keep the good work AMD, and I will support you. In january I am going to get myself AMD based PC,..again Congratz.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squirrl View Post
    Starcraft. yes, Linux would be the Zerg, lots of complicated upgrade paths.

    Apple would be the protos with their expensive upgrades and units
    Not to forget Zergs overran pretty much everyone and everything until Protoss stared obliterating their own planets whenever there was an invasion.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Yes, back to earth and the topic

    What's the status o the PowerPlay stuff in opensource drivers? I'm currently using fglrx. My laptop's getting bit hot when the Ati card is doing something intensive while also taxing the CPU.

    I'm willing to switch to open source drivers, though. Is there any hope of the PowerPlay stuff (apart from putting my GPU core to constant lowest clock) getting it's way into 2.6.33? What other features are pushed into 2.6.33 that aren't in 2.6.32?

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neuro View Post
    Yes, back to earth and the topic

    What's the status o the PowerPlay stuff in opensource drivers? I'm currently using fglrx. My laptop's getting bit hot when the Ati card is doing something intensive while also taxing the CPU.

    I'm willing to switch to open source drivers, though. Is there any hope of the PowerPlay stuff (apart from putting my GPU core to constant lowest clock) getting it's way into 2.6.33? What other features are pushed into 2.6.33 that aren't in 2.6.32?
    You should at least tell what graphic card you have in your laptop. :-) Things are very different between GPU models.
    I have an X600 RV380, radeon from git, kernel-2.6.32, KMS-disabled, dual head and set a permanent low power state in xorg.conf. Works fine for me, Google Earth and video playback work.
    Never looked back at fglrx after the devs introduced basic power saving features for my card.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by signor_rossi View Post
    You should at least tell what graphic card you have in your laptop. :-) Things are very different between GPU models.
    I have an X600 RV380, radeon from git, kernel-2.6.32, KMS-disabled, dual head and set a permanent low power state in xorg.conf. Works fine for me, Google Earth and video playback work.
    Never looked back at fglrx after the devs introduced basic power saving features for my card.
    Hi signor_rossi, I think I remember you from Arch Linux forums. I am giving Arch a break right now since my internet connection is too slow for constant updating, and also due to non-working fglrx (my card is mobility X1600), I am not yet satisfied with the current state of power saving, my laptop is a both hotter and noisier than with my Debian Lenny's fglrx. And it would be the only thing needed for me to make the switch, I don't need any performance, if I need high-performance gaming I boot my Windows XP (or a gaming console).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •