Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 62

Thread: ASUS Eee PC 1201N On Linux

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    4

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by mdalacu View Post
    Does anyone else installed Karmic on Asus EeePC 1201N? I have this problem: uen using Lan cable on large file transfers (smb mount 3-4GB) the laptop freezes and BIOS get reseted !
    On win7 i don't have this problem.
    Ive tested bouth x86 and x64 with 2.6.31-17 kernel and all updates.
    I don't know if my laptop is broken or not.

    Anyone ? Thx!

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    If you can't buy bare bones laptops in Greece then that is a distributor problem you have in Greece and really has nothing to do with MS.

    BTW OCZ has distributors in Greece,

    http://www.ocztechnology.com/whereto.../europe#Greece
    Sure it's a distribution problem. I can accuse MS for more things than their dollars but not for that. But the result is the same. We pay for MS taxes.
    The things are simple. The hardware companies should be enforce by law, to return the windows' fee automatically and at once through the reseller. And then the reseller should ask the money from the manufacturer. This is not the case here and as far as I know nowhere. In the current situation you have to pay with your time and nervous just to take back 30 bucks for the obvious thing, while in the most of the cases you don't even get them...
    But the worst here is that MS Hellas (Hellas = Greece) has extremely good relationships with the goverment, I have told you again about the secret agreement they had, so the things are unlikely to change.

    Also, only one of the three shops you showed me builds systems in Greece. That's normal, because the other two builds their own which they sell with windows ofcourse.
    Last edited by Apopas; 01-03-2010 at 05:49 PM.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Have a good day.
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apopas
    It was my mistake, I admit it. But then, I spoke clearly and said that I shouldn't have begun a conversation with you at all. There was not reason for me to guess that this conversation wouldn't have the same end as that other thread's one.
    Heh, I remember once when I was a kid I had an argument with my father. I got so angry that I would not look or speak to him. That morning I went out to have a hair cut or something like that. At some point on my way back home, with my head already full of kids' stuff, I looked up and met him on the street, and I couldn't help but shout merrily "hi, Daddy!". Of course, a fraction of a second later I remembered that I was supposed to be extremely angry and that I should have never ever speak to him again, but I had just done!

    Anyway, it appears to me that you have made your mind long ago, and now you read every single line with a magnifying glass looking for reasons that support that position. To me, a 'sorry' seems reasonable for saying that I had "wasted my time with you" and that you "lived inside a bubble". There isn't any trick in saying that back when it all happened I would've never admitted any wrong doing. There isn't any trick either in saying that I don't consider it to be a grave insult, and yet adding a 'sorry' because now I do acknowledge that it wasn't nice. I'm not sure what else you were looking for, if anything. If you don't accept this you can ignore me as you were doing (with limited success) or you can just make use of the blacklist option.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,098

    Default

    The bad experience made me not eager to have a conversation with you. And I had told you that before. I wouldn't mind much though to answer to specific questions, but answer from conversation differs a lot. What I realized after I made my post and you answered was that we were going to have a long conversation since the matter was theoritical/philosophical. Mistake.
    Anyway, I keep not understanding your answers. The bubble thing you said was not an insult of course and I don't remember it all, but the other one it is, in my culture at least. I suppose that's our problem finally, we consider things totally different, not only because we have different brains but because we have different cultures. I don't think you are a mean person, or one with psycological problems as have been mentioned. I just think a lot of disagreements leaded to misunderstandings. But I'll give you a friendly advice, while I believe that is possible one man to be correct and whole the other world wrong, this is not the case in general and as far as I have seen you are not liked by a good percentage of the people here. Maybe is your manner? Maybe a misconception of me? I don't know. But whatever the case just check. And because I'm the kind of person who loves simplicity and hates complexity, I'll simply say I accept your apologise.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Have a good day.
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    The bad experience made me not eager to have a conversation with you. And I had told you that before. I wouldn't mind much though to answer to specific questions, but answer from conversation differs a lot. What I realized after I made my post and you answered was that we were going to have a long conversation since the matter was theoritical/philosophical. Mistake.
    Anyway, I keep not understanding your answers. The bubble thing you said was not an insult of course and I don't remember it all, but the other one it is, in my culture at least. I suppose that's our problem finally, we consider things totally different, not only because we have different brains but because we have different cultures. I don't think you are a mean person, or one with psycological problems as have been mentioned. I just think a lot of disagreements leaded to misunderstandings. But I'll give you a friendly advice, while I believe that is possible one man to be correct and whole the other world wrong, this is not the case in general and as far as I have seen you are not liked by a good percentage of the people here. Maybe is your manner? Maybe a misconception of me? I don't know. But whatever the case just check. And because I'm the kind of person who loves simplicity and hates complexity, I'll simply say I accept your apologise.
    Thank you. I assure you there were no 'tricks'. Our opinions don't differ much about this issue; after all I recognized that I wasn't nice with you about both things I said--so not much of a cultural difference. I wouldn't apologize if I didn't think you were genuinely offended and that you deserved it.

    Back to our regular disagreements now, which are counted by the thousands!

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lisboa - Portugal
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Please help me!
    i'm a newby... and i need a step by step help on these:

    "When using the most recent driver package (rtl8192se_linux_2.6.0010.1211.2009.tar.gz) this does work with the 1201N netbook on both 32-bit and 64-bit Ubuntu. Building the driver is as sample as running make and then manually copying the wireless kernel driver to the appropriate location along with the RTL8191SE firmware (using make install was broken). After manually installing this driver the 802.11 b/g/n WiFi had worked without any problems, whether using an open or WPA/WPA2 connection."

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    4

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudobloguista View Post
    Please help me!
    i'm a newby... and i need a step by step help on these:

    "When using the most recent driver package (rtl8192se_linux_2.6.0010.1211.2009.tar.gz) this does work with the 1201N netbook on both 32-bit and 64-bit Ubuntu. Building the driver is as sample as running make and then manually copying the wireless kernel driver to the appropriate location along with the RTL8191SE firmware (using make install was broken). After manually installing this driver the 802.11 b/g/n WiFi had worked without any problems, whether using an open or WPA/WPA2 connection."
    Hi, dowload the file from here by choosing RTL8191SE-VA2.
    Dbl click on it and it will be opened by File Roller. Drag the folder inside the archive obn your desktop. Start Terminal and:
    Code:
    cd Desktop
    cd rtl8192se_linux_2.6.0013.1204.2009
    sudo su
    make 
    make install
    reboot
    And that's it!
    Another thing when you will try your wireless make sure that you have WIFI turned ON (see the blue LED) !

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lisboa - Portugal
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mdalacu View Post
    Hi, dowload the file from here by choosing RTL8191SE-VA2.
    Dbl click on it and it will be opened by File Roller. Drag the folder inside the archive obn your desktop. Start Terminal and:
    Code:
    cd Desktop
    cd rtl8192se_linux_2.6.0013.1204.2009
    sudo su
    make 
    make install
    reboot
    And that's it!
    Another thing when you will try your wireless make sure that you have WIFI turned ON (see the blue LED) !
    It worked! Thank you very much.


  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lisboa - Portugal
    Posts
    3

    Default

    It worked! Thank you very much.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5

    Default bios resets...

    Quote Originally Posted by mdalacu View Post
    Anyone ? Thx!
    Hi. I'm having similar problems: VERY often, when I restart the netbook, the BIOS will be reset. I'll have to go into BIOS and save settings, or press F2 to continue. That's VERY annoying.
    Apparently there's no problem when using Windows. I've sort of noticed that if I hibernate the netbook instead of shutting down or restarting, it goes around the problem and doesn't reset the BIOS.

    I'm using Kubuntu 9.10 on a 1201n BIOS rev 318.

    Anyone using same OS with same BIOS rev? Having this problem? I don't know whether the problem comes from the chipset that's yet to be fully supported, or whether it comes from my hardware. Please do give some feedback. Much appreciated!

    Thanks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •