Thread: Netbook for playing HD video (via HDMI on big screen)

Hybrid View

Default Netbook for playing HD video (via HDMI on big screen)

Hello, all
    I need netbook with HDMI and possibility to decode FullHD without problems. I have many videos h.264 1080p and MPEG-2 1080i and want to watch them on my 42"LCD.

I choose between 'HP mini 311' (with Atom N270 and nVidia ION), 'Acer Timeline 1810T' (Intel Core2 Solo SU3500 and Intel 4500MHD), MSI Wind U210X (with AMD Yukon L335 1,6 and ATI Radeon X1250)
    What is the better solution for linux?

Thx,
    Last edited by sspphheerraa; 12-25-2009 at 06:24 AM.

The HP ion system is really the only choice to watch HD video in linux.

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    The HP ion system is really the only choice to watch HD video in linux.
    This statement is not fully correct as is since other US15W-based netbooks fall into this category as well. However, you have to add "The HP ION system, with an HDMI connector, ..." ;-) IOW, netbooks with an HDMI connector are not so common.

Quote Originally Posted by gbeauche View Post
    This statement is not fully correct as is since other US15W-based netbooks fall into this category as well. However, you have to add "The HP ION system, with an HDMI connector, ..." ;-) IOW, netbooks with an HDMI connector are not so common.
    The statement is completely correct, US15W netbook is not capable of playing 1080p h264 in linux (or windows even once the bitrates increase). All ion based netbooks also feature a HDMI connection as well.
    Last edited by deanjo; 12-26-2009 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    The statement is completely correct, US15W netbook is not capable of playing 1080p h264 in linux (or windows even once the bitrates increase).
    It can. Even on Windows 7, though this one requires 2 GB RAM to get something near as smooth as one gets on Linux with only 512 MB...

Quote Originally Posted by gbeauche View Post
    It can. Even on Windows 7, though this one requires 2 GB RAM to get something near as smooth as one gets on Linux with only 512 MB...
    Using what? That great abandoned GMA500 driver?

I think none of the CPUs is strong enough to decode 1080p H.264, so without GPU acceleration you cannot playback that properly.

Intel and AMD open source drivers do not accelerate H.264 decode at present. NVidia VDPAU should work with the proprietary driver.

That will not help you as the new Atom still has got only VGA output. If you need hdmi you need Ion2, which is most likely relatively slow due to PCI-E 1x connection only.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    That will not help you as the new Atom still has got only VGA output. If you need hdmi you need Ion2, which is most likely relatively slow due to PCI-E 1x connection only.
    Well the PCI-E 1x connection isn't a bottle neck when it comes to vdpau playback as we have already seen that a PCI 8400GS is capable enough to play 1080p content just fine when coupled with a regular atom. There are also vendors out there thta plan on using a LVDS-to-HDMI signal converter as well such as Zotac.

Yeah, Lenovo Skylight smartbook seems to be a good choice. But will it come to Ukraine...
    As for nVidia ION, I think about
    Lenovo S12
    Samsung N510
    and
    HP mini 311

I like samsung more, because it's matt (other ones are glossy). But I'm still not sure. May be better to wait Asus eeePC on the base of ION 2?