Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40

Thread: A Dinosaur Game Is Coming To Linux

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    .ca
    Posts
    402

    Default

    Doesn't look even close to finished. Or did I miss the in-game demo video?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Sort of off-topic:

    I hate their category listing, like 'PC', 'XBOX' etc. and then 'Linux'.

    Either list hardware and write in parentheses the OSs supported, or list software. But mixing is horrible. It only worsens people perceiving Linux as something completely different from a PC.

    It's the same wicked Apple strategy that never specifies whether you refer to MacOS or to the computer while saying 'Mac'.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    I'll pay whatever it costs as long as:
    A) It's good game.
    B) It's not full of digital rights management.

    If only point A) is pressent I'll just be donwloading it from the intarwebs for zero euro's. (borderline legal here).
    The stupidity of this boggles the mind. You are just validating the reasoning behind the developers using DRM in the first place. The developers will just see figures for sales versus pirated copies and not the reasoning behind it and so on the next game with use an even more draconian DRM. And lets be honest here the majority of people using DRM as a reason to pirate would have done so even if it had none.
    If you want to have DRM free games only play DRM free games (after having bought them from a legitimate source...).

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,434

    Default

    Agreed. If you don't like DRM then don't play the game and send the vendor a letter explaining your decision. If you steal the game and claim it's because of DRM then the vendor will write you off as a common thief and use your actions as justification to make the DRM stronger next time.

    Just curious, why do you say "borderline legal" ? Breaking DRM is treated differently in every jurisdiction, of course, but you are still violating vendor license and copyright.

    Even if cutting through the safe door isn't a crime in your part of the world, it's still a crime to steal the jewellery
    Last edited by bridgman; 12-31-2009 at 10:22 AM.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by not.sure View Post
    Doesn't look even close to finished. Or did I miss the in-game demo video?
    Judging from a comment made by a developper on Moddb, they are much further in the development than their latest media release, but they are being careful with their releases and are taking their sweet time to think everything over before releasing it

    Quote Originally Posted by Aradreth View Post
    The stupidity of this boggles the mind. You are just validating the reasoning behind the developers using DRM in the first place.
    The stupidity of your claim boggles my mind... Developpers do not chose DRM, publishers do. Why is that, you might ask? Well, publishers are aware of the fact that DRM is easily crackable. So why are they still investing all this money into tech that is just as easily, if not more easily, crackable than regular StarForce copy protection?

    The awnser is simple and has two points:
    1) It comes with some sort of copy protection so a n00b can't copy his disk directly, but that's a bit of a side effect. The real reason is;
    2) You can't sell DRM games as used products. Bingo! That's where the money comes from! If someone wants to buy a game through a legal channel than that person must buy it directly from the source! Second hand used games only profit the people that sell it. Publishers and shops don't earn a dime when you sell a copy that publishers already sold to you!

    The developers will just see figures for sales versus pirated copies and not the reasoning behind it and so on the next game with use an even more draconian DRM.
    I'm not some kind of religious activist. I buy retail games in stores for my personal, selfish gain. If I would want to support something with moeny than I would donate to a way more important FLOSS project.

    And lets be honest here the majority of people using DRM as a reason to pirate would have done so even if it had none.
    Most people are instinctive idiots. They are looking for justifications for their doing. Let's look at smokers; they smoke because they are addicted and not because they think its awesome. I am a smoker, I am addicted. It's stupid, I know. But at least I do actually know myself.

    I do actually buy a shitload of games. I can prove it by printing out this forum post with almost dry ink, fold the paper a little so you see it's not GIMP'ed or Photoshopped, hold it next to my games collection, make a picture of it and upload to the intawebs to prove that I am among the 1% that actually does buy games. Want me to?

    If you want to have DRM free games only play DRM free games (after having bought them from a legitimate source...).
    I really don't give a shit. The only reason I buy retail games is because they work better. "What?!" Yes, read that correctly.

    You see, I used to obtain ilegal copies for a fraction of the price, if not for totally free, because of pure selfishness. I was young, didn't have a lot of money, I had a game addiction (sort of) and I had more important things to mspend my money on.

    Now that I am older I am starting to see the problems with copies:
    -Discs are not pressed and some older games are deceased. My modded Playstation 2 can't read out copied games anymore, while pressed retail copies work just fine.
    -Some Windows 9x games are not working anymore in Windows XP and Wine. But there are patches for these games to play them on XP and Vista and thus Wine also. But I have cracks, so when I patch these games I require the CD and the CD is a copy and it doesn't work anymore. So now I am spending my time actually buying my old games thorugh the legal channel.
    -Some games require patched to work correctly. Take for example Soldier Of Fortune 3 (what a craptastic game! ). The 1.0 version works like shit on XP and doesn't under Windows 7 (dad's pc). But with the 1.1 patch it works flawlessly. So once again retail = win.
    -Some games work fully under Wine (platinum), even with copy protection! Like Painkiller for example. Ripped games are not in the AppDB and do not work because Wine only fixes bugs for apps listed in the AppDB! So once again retail = win.
    -Doom 3 (didn't have a job yet, don't execute me for this - I recently bought Quake 4 and Return To Castle Wolfenstein simply because I do want to support the cause of Linux, but I can't find a place to buy Doom 3 anymore ) works just fine under Windows. But the Linux executable doesn't work with my invalid CD key because it checks for it on an id software server, but only if I am connected to the internet. I do not want to unplug my freaking ethernet cable whenever I want to play Doom 3.
    -Mods. Sometime games work perfectly, like cracked Doom 3 under Wine... but what if you want to download the Classic Doom for Doom 3 mod? Shit, you have to update it. Shit... copied discs doesn't work.
    -Online play: Good luck pall, playing online... let's not even go there...
    -Malware. There are games that do not work under Wine, and so I am getting malware all over my XP install.

    Now... sometimes games work only with the original, legal, retail copies under Wine and sometimes only the games with a crack. So by buying games in stores I have both options:
    1) I can choose to install the original, or;
    2) I can install the original and put a cracked executable in my Wine folder

    So far you know why I am buying legal copies; pure selfishness. But then why am I against DRM then?

    Well I don't mind copy protection. What I do mind is paying 50 fscking euro's for Red Alert 3, only to realise afterward that I can only install it five fscking times!!! So when a game doesn't rely on the intarwebs I buy it. When a game does need internet activation, I am better of downloadin a cracked version so I can be assured that I can still play it in the future.

    I think that should awnser all your doubts
    Last edited by V!NCENT; 01-01-2010 at 06:18 AM.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Just curious, why do you say "borderline legal" ? Breaking DRM is treated differently in every jurisdiction, of course, but you are still violating vendor license and copyright.
    In my country it's legal to download games. It becomes ilegal and a copyright violation if I distribute it without having the copyright, or a permit to redistribute from the copyright holder

    In my country, in court, RIAA practises are heavily rejected. (thank god...) What however gets punished in court is ilegal distribution. So I, or someone else for me, download the games from usenet and not Bittorent because then I, or that other person, doesn't have to share it and thus distribute it.
    Last edited by V!NCENT; 01-01-2010 at 06:24 AM.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by susikala View Post
    Sort of off-topic:

    I hate their category listing, like 'PC', 'XBOX' etc. and then 'Linux'.

    Either list hardware and write in parentheses the OSs supported, or list software. But mixing is horrible. It only worsens people perceiving Linux as something completely different from a PC.

    It's the same wicked Apple strategy that never specifies whether you refer to MacOS or to the computer while saying 'Mac'.
    you forgot on which machines a linux could run? From a freakin neo freerunner to a cluster of high-end servers there is everything possible.

    Maybe they want to say, that this game is runnable on a N900 from nokia, too?!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    In my country it's legal to download games. It becomes ilegal and a copyright violation if I distribute it without having the copyright, or a permit to redistribute from the copyright holder

    In my country, in court, RIAA practises are heavily rejected. (thank god...) What however gets punished in court is ilegal distribution. So I, or someone else for me, download the games from usenet and not Bittorent because then I, or that other person, doesn't have to share it and thus distribute it.
    PS: The license agreements are always english and end with: Do you agree with this agreement that say that you, as an end-user, is going to be sued to the laws extend in your country? Yes go ahead, ROFL, because the laws extend is; well... there is no law that says I can't, rendering the entire agreement, and not contract, de facto invalid xD

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Albuquerque NM USA
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    In my country it's legal to download games. It becomes ilegal and a copyright violation if I distribute it without having the copyright, or a permit to redistribute from the copyright holder

    In my country, in court, RIAA practises are heavily rejected. (thank god...) What however gets punished in court is ilegal distribution. So I, or someone else for me, download the games from usenet and not Bittorent because then I, or that other person, doesn't have to share it and thus distribute it.
    It may be legal (and if you live in the EU it might not be) but it's still stealing.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rbmorse View Post
    It may be legal (and if you live in the EU it might not be) but it's still stealing.
    Stealing software is breaking into an Apple store at night and steal their copies of Mac OS X discs. Stealing a car is breaking open the window of somebodies car, starting it and driving to your garage. Stealing is taking somebody's newspaper, put it in your backpack and taking it home.

    Copying is lending somebodies Mac OS X install discs, putting it in your DVD drive, reading it out, burning it to a blank disc and giving the disc back to your friend and saying: thank you for lending my friend, I owe you a beer

    Copying is carefully observing and studying a Ferrari, buying whatever materials you can and building your own. Knock yourself out, but that's legal. That's not stealing.

    Copying is asking if you can read the newspaper from the office next door, putting it under the copy machine and printing out an article that you like to put on your door and giving back the newspaper before the guy in the office next to you comes back from a meeting.

    Copyright violation is mass producing Mac OS X discs and selling it.
    Copyright violation is building your own factory, mass produce Enzo's and sell it to people, under the Ferarri brand.
    Copyright violation is hacking the New York Times, take their writings and put it inside your own newspaper and sell it.

    Your lack of perspective is insane. Get a fscking clue...
    Last edited by V!NCENT; 01-01-2010 at 02:02 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •