Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 57 of 57

Thread: It's 2010, But A No-Go For GNOME's 10x10 Goal

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    @BlackStar

    As 720p is 1280x720 no scaling is needed on a 1280x1024 display, just 304 black lines extra Also there are many laptops out there with 1280x800 or 1280x768 res, so that's more common than you might think.
    Than I think? Check the Steam hardware survey, which shows what resolutions gamers tend to use.

    720p on a 1280x1024 PC monitor - sorry, that doesn't happen in practice. It simply doesn't happen. Why? Two reasons:
    (a) PC monitors automatically scale to fill the panel (1:1 monitors are rare, especially in the common 4:3, 19'' 1280x1024 non-HD offerings).
    (b) PC gamers will prefer to use 1024x768 (correct aspect ratio & full-screen) instead of 1280x720 (incorrect aspect ratio *or* black bars) on a 1280x1024 monitor. Think about it.

    Again, the 720p resolution is completely irrelevant in PC gaming. PC gamers simply don't use that resolution.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,683

    Default

    No, PC monitors do what the driver says. I know for sure that all major vendors like AMD,INTEL,NVIDIA have got options for aspect ratio scaling (for dvi/hdmi connectors), that means even if you select those as res it will not be fullscreen scaled. 1024x768 is wrong aspect for 5:4 (1280x1024) - well many are unable to calculate the differnce to 4:3 res like you. Most common usage are not games, but videos like youtube or other rips.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    No, PC monitors do what the driver says. I know for sure that all major vendors like AMD,INTEL,NVIDIA have got options for aspect ratio scaling (for dvi/hdmi connectors), that means even if you select those as res it will not be fullscreen scaled. 1024x768 is wrong aspect for 5:4 (1280x1024) - well many are unable to calculate the differnce to 4:3 res like you. Most common usage are not games, but videos like youtube or other rips.
    What does youtube and video rips have to do with PC gaming again? That's right, nothing.

    And yes, 4:3 fits much better on a 5:4 monitor than 16:9.

  4. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D0pamine View Post
    @Everyone
    Did mr. Torvalds give up KDE for GNOME when KDE 4 was released? As ever improvements bring bugs.
    It's not surprising, because it wasn't stable KDE 4, but rather KDE 4.0.

    As for console games - is nexuiz available on any console? Or even alien arena? if so lets see who has the best equipment me and my 5 year old 'PC' with razer mouse or someone with a ps3 and a six-axis controller. I bet it'll be less than 5 mins before he/she says i'm cheating and reaches for the mw2 disc.
    Well said.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    And yes, 4:3 fits much better on a 5:4 monitor than 16:9.
    Only if you are blind. As 1024x768 has to be interpolated on 1280x1024 it looks ugly in any case. 720p would not need to be interpolated if you need to reduce the res because your gfx card is too slow. Just more black The same ppl who use 1024x768 on a 1280x1024 5:4 tft most likely used 1280x1024 (instead of 1280x960) on a 4:3 crt.

    If you know Mirror's Edge: it has got black boarders on 16:10 tft because it only works with 16:9 modes.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Only if you are blind. As 1024x768 has to be interpolated on 1280x1024 it looks ugly in any case. 720p would not need to be interpolated if you need to reduce the res because your gfx card is too slow. Just more black The same ppl who use 1024x768 on a 1280x1024 5:4 tft most likely used 1280x1024 (instead of 1280x960) on a 4:3 crt.
    Any CRT that supports 1280x1024 also supports 1360x1024 and possibly 1400x1050, which are better choices all around.

    If you know Mirror's Edge: it has got black boarders on 16:10 tft because it only works with 16:9 modes.
    And you think that's a good thing? Sorry, but that would be reason enough for me to not buy the game for the PC.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    @Hoodlum: PC games run on PC monitors, not TVs. The Steam hardware survey confirms this - just look at how few people use Steam on typical TV resolutions.
    wrong! if you can run a game on 16:9 1920*1080 than you have no problem if you have a graphic card and tv with hdmi or dvi.

    december 2009

    1920 x 1080
    (+1.19%) 6.86%
    1920 x 1200
    (+0.38%) 5.95%

    is 1920*1080 a monitor or a tv, you can not figure this out with these stats. it is also fun to use a beamer for playing, 4m in diagonal...

    btw. you can also use a tv instead of a monitor for desktop. looks cool with 40" 1m in front of you. i saw this at a friend and my impression was just, wow. lol

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •