Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radeon HD 5770

Default Radeon HD 5770

I have been reading about this particular card and I'm intereste in it as a potential video card upgrade. I like that it is lower power consumption and I assume low heat as well.

It would be nicer with higher level performance but should be sufficient for what I need. Also, the price is cheaper than the other newer ATI cards.

I was wondering what this card is capable of and what is supported so far. Can I at least play movies with it without tearing if the other features aren't supported yet? I could wait and boot into Windows to play games if I did play games. What's the current update (i.e. status) with it?

Thanks for any answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    I have been reading about this particular card and I'm intereste in it as a potential video card upgrade. I like that it is lower power consumption and I assume low heat as well.

It would be nicer with higher level performance but should be sufficient for what I need. Also, the price is cheaper than the other newer ATI cards.

I was wondering what this card is capable of and what is supported so far. Can I at least play movies with it without tearing if the other features aren't supported yet? I could wait and boot into Windows to play games if I did play games. What's the current update (i.e. status) with it?

Thanks for any answers.
    there is no need for windowsXP..

wine1.1.35+catalyst9.12+winetricks@HD4670:

DirectX9c is supportet up to 99%

"I like that it is lower power consumption and I assume low heat as well."

there are 2 passiv cooled 5750 cards .....

"Can I at least play movies with it without tearing"

you can use OpenGL viedeo output to fix the tearing problem.

the opensource driver (not yet useable for the hd5xxx card) do have good Xv.

"low power consumption" is relative. The 46xx have a low power consumption and should be powerful enough for movies, compositing and older games. 5770 is only needed if you're either into 3d modeling/rendering or simply into recent games.

To avoid tearing, you'd have to display the movie using openGL. xv will tear. I've had a bit of gfx corruption when switching to fullscreen with ogl, so I still use xv. (as a multiscreen-user, my movies will tear anyway.)
    You could try xvba, if you can get it working. I didn't bother.

Games on windows are just beautiful with the card and a high-res monitor The 5770 is more powerful than anything in current-gen consoles (360/ps3/wii), so anything working on those consoles should run great. (unless the game was ported by a bunch of typewriter-monkeys, but let's not talk about GTA IV here)

Games on Wine, see above. It all depends on the games, some work great, some work with minor flaws, some suffer heavy performance penalties and some don't work at all. http://appdb.winehq.org is your friend.

I've had a few stability problems with fglrx. Not more often than previously with the nvidia drivers, but more severe: nvidia just killed the X server, fglrx hangs the whole system (thus taking a minute longer to recover). Annoying, but I only regard fglrx as a necessary evil until OS support arrives, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by rohcQaH View Post
    "low power consumption" is relative. The 46xx have a low power consumption and should be powerful enough for movies, compositing and older games. 5770 is only needed if you're either into 3d modeling/rendering or simply into recent games.

OpenCL performance of a hd5xxx card will up to 6X higher than a hd4xxx card...

AMD spoken man also says increase openCL performance for 4xxx is droped there is no plan to bring faster openCL to an hd4xxx...

http://forums.amd.com/devforum/messa...hreadid=123857

after that information its not a good idear to buy a hd4xxx based card if you can geht a HD5xxx based card.

Quote Originally Posted by rohcQaH View Post
    To avoid tearing, you'd have to display the movie using openGL. xv will tear. I've had a bit of gfx corruption when switching to fullscreen with ogl, so I still use xv. (as a multiscreen-user, my movies will tear anyway.)
    You could try xvba, if you can get it working. I didn't bother.
    the opensource driver will bring tearfree viedeo for Xv but yes for a hd5xxx card still not yet ready.

So you expect 6/5 -> 20% more opencl speed compared to nvidia? Prove that...

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    So you expect 6/5 -> 20% more opencl speed compared to nvidia? Prove that...
    kano you miss the point...
    i don't compare nvidia vs amd...
    i compare a 5870 vs a 4870 or an 4870x2---

6 time faster is 'low' i think up to 10 time faster or more is true for a HD5970

You can always put any number in there. Prove it!!!!

It's a very nice card. The free drivers aren't ready yet though. Only really a huge concern if you're a fedora user or for philosophical reasons.

The binary drivers are not ready for fedora too.

Yeah that was what I was implying. Unfortunately for me, I am. This is one instance I prefer to support the company for philosophical reasons ( I want free drivers, this binary BS can go to hell) over short term practicality. That and I didn't really have a choice unless I wanted to buy outdated hardware (no competition atm) or wait (not an option).