Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Radeon HD 5770

Quote Originally Posted by rohcQaH View Post
    "low power consumption" is relative. The 46xx have a low power consumption and should be powerful enough for movies, compositing and older games. 5770 is only needed if you're either into 3d modeling/rendering or simply into recent games.

To avoid tearing, you'd have to display the movie using openGL. xv will tear. I've had a bit of gfx corruption when switching to fullscreen with ogl, so I still use xv. (as a multiscreen-user, my movies will tear anyway.)
    You could try xvba, if you can get it working. I didn't bother.

Games on windows are just beautiful with the card and a high-res monitor The 5770 is more powerful than anything in current-gen consoles (360/ps3/wii), so anything working on those consoles should run great. (unless the game was ported by a bunch of typewriter-monkeys, but let's not talk about GTA IV here)

Games on Wine, see above. It all depends on the games, some work great, some work with minor flaws, some suffer heavy performance penalties and some don't work at all. http://appdb.winehq.org is your friend.

I've had a few stability problems with fglrx. Not more often than previously with the nvidia drivers, but more severe: nvidia just killed the X server, fglrx hangs the whole system (thus taking a minute longer to recover). Annoying, but I only regard fglrx as a necessary evil until OS support arrives, anyway.
    So, this card, Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4650 600Mhz Core 1GB. would be good if mostly into movies, videos and 3D? It's $80.

I guess I need to look it up to see how it compares.

I was curious about the issues because I am familiar with Nvidia driver installs. I can recover from black screens and 'repair' the driver settings. In other words, I'm somewhat comfortable with the issues as I think I can recover from them. I only have experience with older Radeon cards.

If I use full screen with an ATI card, I'll have graphics corruption? I like to watch movies in full screen (at least, sometimes) so what would that mean? Maybe it's better to get the cheaper ATI card for now?

I was comparing the Radeon HD 5770 and the GTS 250 (I would also consider the newer GT220M Nvidia cards) for as high end as I would go.

Thanks for all these replies for all who answered! Some good and interesting info continuing in this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    So, this card, Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4650 600Mhz Core 1GB. would be good if mostly into movies, videos and 3D? It's $80.
    Or you can wait for the 5670, supposedly it will be launched this month. But then again it will probably be only a little bit cheaper than the 5750, and the 5750 has almost twice as much shader processors.

I'm personally thinking about purchasing a 5750 myself, but IMHO fglrx is really not a viable option for video playback.
    Last edited by monraaf; 01-05-2010 at 01:21 PM.

should be cheaper than $80.. not sure if it's actually an "upgrade" to your current card, or why you actually want to upgrade. Care to provide more info?
    The 5770 is more powerful than the 4670, about 2.5 the power at 2 times the power consumption.
    IIRC the 4670 is slightly more powerful than the GT220 (but I'm sure Kano will correct me if I'm wrong ), while the 5770 blows any nvidia single-GPU card that doesn't need it's own power plant.

It all boils down to two questions:
    - how much performance do you need, i.e. what do you want to do with it?
    - would you prefer fglrx or the OS drivers?

The 4670 is already supported by the OS drivers which would give you tearfree video and fast 2D, but still lacks some openGL extensions. Prepare to install GIT versions to get the latest code.
    There's also the 4770, which is about middle ground between 4670 and 5770, but it's already supported by the OS drivers. This one would have been my choice if I didn't need the third output of my 5770 (Eyefinity).

If I use full screen with an ATI card, I'll have graphics corruption?
    I don't know what you'll have. *I* have corruption when I press f in mplayer. If I just turn mplayer into a maximized, borderless window, it works. Fullscreen games work fine, too. Not sure what went wrong, but as I'm happy with xv I didn't bother to investigate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    The binary drivers are not ready for fedora too.
    the phoronix forum isn't ready for kano to ;-)

i miss something in this theat

i can help you out kano..

Kano:"Don't buy the hd 5770 wait for a fermi or buy a renamed geforce8800 gtx310 if you need a working driver. "

if you wana save money and full featured on the todays opensource driver....

Buy a used 3850..... i have a 3850 and a 4670 and the 3850 is "faster" up to 30-40% ram speed 4670=27gb/s 3850=55Gb/s
    a used 3850 is really cheap 30-40 max
    a 3850 can handle openGL3.2------ dx10 games in wine...

there will goes a long time to openCL and then openCL need's a hd5xxx card.

I guess I need to look it up to see how it compares.
    I was curious about the issues because I am familiar with Nvidia driver installs. I can recover from black screens and 'repair' the driver settings. In other words, I'm somewhat comfortable with the issues as I think I can recover from them. I only have experience with older Radeon cards.
    on the opensource driver side its just a dream get the newest ubuntu dev release 10.04 'lucid' install and all run's out of the box... lucid use mesa7.7

and then if you wana more crack drugs on your computer dist-upgrade to Xorg-edgers mesa 7.8 jijiiihhhhaaa :-) 'KMS,OGL2.0'

If I use full screen with an ATI card, I'll have graphics corruption? I like to watch movies in full screen (at least, sometimes) so what would that mean? Maybe it's better to get the cheaper ATI card for now?
    if you use the opensource driver no there is no corruption.

on the fglrx you need set the output to openGL and vsync on...

I was comparing the Radeon HD 5770 and the GTS 250 (I would also consider the newer GT220M Nvidia cards) for as high end as I would go.
    in my point of view the hd 5770 is the much better card dx11/tessellation OpenGL4 support

Thanks for all these replies for all who answered! Some good and interesting info continuing in this thread!
    ok... no problem i really like to talk like kano :"if you wana working driver buy nvidia"

hi.
    I'm too considering moving to a HD5770 (maybe powercolor pcs+), but i'm used to my 7900gs (and nvidia drivers)... I'm having no issues at all, and i'm afraid of getting lots of issues with an ATI/AMD even with opensource one's...

Since i don't really need a lot of power (but a FullHD Resolution), should i go to and gt250 (smiliar tdp in load to hd5770) or try a (more power eficient) 5770?
    I used it mostly of time for play movies and sometimes play nexuiz (and in win) games like GTR2/Rfactor.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreAPL View Post
    hi.
    I'm too considering moving to a HD5770 (maybe powercolor pcs+), but i'm used to my 7900gs (and nvidia drivers)... I'm having no issues at all, and i'm afraid of getting lots of issues with an ATI/AMD even with opensource one's...

Since i don't really need a lot of power (but a FullHD Resolution), should i go to and gt250 (smiliar tdp in load to hd5770) or try a (more power eficient) 5770?
    I used it mostly of time for play movies and sometimes play nexuiz (and in win) games like GTR2/Rfactor.
    Well... Before I got my current hd4650 card, I had a hd3650 and an old nvidia 7600 gt card.

When I had the hd3650 and the 7600 gt, I felt the nvidia driver were more bugfree than fglrx. (about one and a half year ago).
    Now I really don't see a difference in stability between the two vendors. This is my list of cons and pros for fglrx right now:

Cons with fglrx:
    - Fglrx's xvba isn't quite that stable yet. It works ok for me, but I see some still might have problems with it.
    - With fglrx you have to install a patched Xorg-server for good compositing support (without it, maximizing is death slow)

Pros with fglrx / radeon card:
    - randr works great with fglrx (I don't see that support in nvidia)
    - The current oss drivers works quite well, and is still getting better.
    - Well anything not mentioned in the cons list works quite well. Including wine.

I would choose a radeon card again.

About 2D performance, i saw in some benchs here in phoronix that opensource version is much better then fglrx, and since i'll use more 2D, maybe i will use them. thanks for opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreAPL View Post
    About 2D performance, i saw in some benchs here in phoronix that opensource version is much better then fglrx, and since i'll use more 2D, maybe i will use them. thanks for opinion.
    catalyst/fglrx 10.3 will have the same 2D performance +flash-h264acceleration+viedeoh264 acceleration...

ok.. the next 2-3 monds the FGLRX 10.1/10.2 will lose to... 10.3 will be the first one that is not a joke... in 2D---

they build a EXA like acceleration.... for the FGLRX 10-3

in my point of view... they have the speed in 10-3 but never evere the stability of the opensource driver *G*