Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Overgrowth and NS2

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    75

    Default Overgrowth and NS2

    You can now preorder both for 40$!
    http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/01/The-...-Preorder-Pack
    Overgrowth doesn't have a linux alpha client ATM but they are working on it. They have a mac client thought.
    NS2 have not made any promises that they will have a linux client. But they are however very open to the idea. (I think svartalf said he would look into it)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Pretty awesome deal, I'm really considering buying it.

    As a side note, if Svartalf does do a Linux client, you'd have to buy it from LGP. You can't get it for free just because you have the Windows version.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
    As a side note, if Svartalf does do a Linux client, you'd have to buy it from LGP. You can't get it for free just because you have the Windows version.
    I don't think so. Look at Caster, that was sold through Elecorn's site, not through LGP. These are games he's porting outside of LGP. The game engine is designed to be cross-platform so they might not even need Svartalf, or might just hire him to help with the porting.

    I've bought the package because I was planning on buying Overgrowth anyways. This way I maybe get another game for free.

    The NS2 Faq says they support Windows, OSX, Xbox360 and "maybe even" Linux.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
    Pretty awesome deal, I'm really considering buying it.

    As a side note, if Svartalf does do a Linux client, you'd have to buy it from LGP. You can't get it for free just because you have the Windows version.
    That solely depends on whether Michael Simms gets the deal or not on that score. Caster was an indie effort as part of a move to try to change the name of the game in the industry- spawned as a part of the wishlist threads. (Which, ironically, was initially an attempt to get people to realize the problems LGP faced then and now...)

    As for it costing... Keep in mind that the costs per Linux vs. Windows versions (is it two separate purchases or is it more like Quake and Doom have been...) is up to the studio and the publisher for the title. I know for a fact that EU2, HoI2/3 will be treated as completely different SKUs. When you buy Caster, you have to pretty much buy for each platform. Now, that's not to say NS2 will be that way- but but don't be disappointed if it ends up that way.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Good deal... but I am definitly not preordering something that *might* have a Linux port. Once the port is there I will reconsider buying those game though.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Julius View Post
    Good deal... but I am definitly not preordering something that *might* have a Linux port. Once the port is there I will reconsider buying those game though.
    Overgrowth will have a Linux port. If you preorder Overgrowth now you might get NS2 for free. It's quite different to preordering NS2 by itself.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •