Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FPS doubles when overclocking CPU

Hybrid View

Default FPS doubles when overclocking CPU

I am talking about the like one month old open source drivers for my Radeon 4870. I read a thread here at Phoronix about them and of course I installed them but had to switch like half my Ubuntu system to Lucid packages. But hey, now I am on Debian Sid and got everything the latest, and Xorg edgers' PPA from Ubuntu.

My games are working with Wine now. No dead locking after a couple of seconds when starting certain 3D applications, even native ones - as it did with that FGLRX. Sorry, but they can't do drivers at AMD. Luckily enough they too noticed that and released the documentation for others to do it.

Yes, my FPS. It is in a game called Warcraft III, with Wine. The game was really choppy and FPS was like 25 and really unplayable. I got a Phenom 2 X2 550. It was at stock 3.1 GHz. So I think i put it to 3.7 GHz and it really made a difference. 50+ FPS in Warcraft III and no problems playing it. It feeled like more responsible than in Windows. You know, like it feels when you play Counter Strike in Wine. The shots are immediate.

I read somewhere that not everything is implemented in the drivers and the processor do some stuff. But is it really that different. From 3.1 to 3.7 GHz and the double in FPS. It's crazy.

I am seeing forward to new releases to these crazy drivers. Thanks.

Unoptimized and through an emulation layer - I'm not particularly surprised that it is CPU bound. Double fps however is quite a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by barkas View Post
    Unoptimized and through an emulation layer - I'm not particularly surprised that it is CPU bound. Double fps however is quite a lot.
    Wine is not an emulator :P It basically just remaps function calls to *nix equivalents and even provides a more optimized OpenGL pipeline than e.g. the original W3 GL mode (which is outdated).

Obviously his findings make it clear that the OSS driver doesn't provide HW accel on some key functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by Almindor View Post
    Wine is not an emulator :P It basically just remaps function calls to *nix equivalents and even provides a more optimized OpenGL pipeline than e.g. the original W3 GL mode (which is outdated).

Obviously his findings make it clear that the OSS driver doesn't provide HW accel on some key functionality.
    Those guys can reiterate that it's not an emulator all they want, by all common definitions wine IS an emulator.
    It also slows down execution and takes more CPU than the application would native on windows.
    Especially if it has to remap from D3D to GL.

Those guys can reiterate that it's not an emulator all they want, by all common definitions wine IS an emulator.
    It also slows down execution and takes more CPU than the application would native on windows.
    thats fundamentally wrong wine do not slow down in generall wine also win benchmarks cpu and GPU benchmarks!

try benchmark 3dmark 2001 on windowsXP and the same on wine...

wine win the benchmark up to 30%!

wine only lose benchmarks on realy new 'games' because wine have not implent pre-optimations yet...

wine win also benchmarks @ WOW...

Warcraft 3 runs fine on my 1.8GHz r600 laptop with the open drivers. The important thing you need to do is set wine to use OffscreenRenderingMode of backbuffer instead of fbo which is the default.

I'm confused.
    All I get from Wine so far doesn't seem to be much more than software rendering with with one or two fps.
    I thought this was because the drivers are still so incomplete, yet it seems like there are people here that already use wine for serious gaming.

Okay, I still use wine 1.0.1, but can this really be the problem?
    Can you point me to a tutorial how to get wine running with the free radeon drivers?

I was not that serious about AMD not being able to make drivers. AMD released documentation about their cards. Is there anything better a company can do?

Quote Originally Posted by Dard View Post
    I'm confused.
    All I get from Wine so far doesn't seem to be much more than software rendering with with one or two fps.
    I thought this was because the drivers are still so incomplete, yet it seems like there are people here that already use wine for serious gaming.

Okay, I still use wine 1.0.1, but can this really be the problem?
    Can you point me to a tutorial how to get wine running with the free radeon drivers?
    You have to start it with the opengl flag or make wine use opengl by default. Like this: wine Frozen\ Throne.exe -opengl
    Do you also run like the latest drivers through xorg-edgers?

Warcraft III got both D3D and GL rendering. And yes, it is unplayable if you run it with D3D. Who cares about Wine being an emulator or not when programs run better than they ever did on Windows?
    Last edited by Larrxi; 01-08-2010 at 05:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larrxi View Post
    You have to start it with the opengl flag or make wine use opengl by default. Like this: wine Frozen\ Throne.exe -opengl
    Do you also run like the latest drivers through xorg-edgers?
    Well, I use the Debian Testing system for Xorg and Wine. I just downloaded, compiled and installed the 3D drivers using:
    git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa

All native OpenGl applications that I have have installed run flawlessly.

Is that what you mean?

I tried starting Wine games using your -opengl option. No improvement. I tested the Max Payne demo and Dungeon Siege.

Maybe I fiddled with som regedit settings .
    Here's my regedit for Direct3D settings.

REGEDIT4
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D]
    "DirectDrawRenderer"="opengl"
    "Nonpower2Mode"="repack"
    "OffscreenRenderingMode"="fbo"
    "RenderTargetLockMode"="auto"
    "UseGLSL"="readtex"
    "VideoMemorySize"="1024"

I have yet to test OffscreenRenderingMode=readtex. My card broke when I changed cooler on it so I did a RMA.