Thread: RadeonHD 4670 trouble

Default RadeonHD 4670 trouble

Okay, I've been trying to do it all by myself, and I've been failing miserably when the directions make it stupid-proof.

Well, I've broken the stupid-proofness.

Anyway, I have the HD 4670. I know there's radeon and radeonhd. I've read guides saying to install radeon. I've done the ppas, tried installing through the git, and compiling. Heck, I don't even know what I'm really talking about. At the end of the day, I've been getting the black screen of death over and over.

My linux-kernel is the latest that's out though. I did that right, at least.

Two weeks ago, I managed to get radeonhd to work. I had no compiz support or any other desktop features, and then I randomly had blue lines going vertically across my screen, whether I'm booting or in gnome. I heard updating to 2.6.33-rc3 fixes that, but nothing has changed on my end.

So the question. What guide should I follow. Should I keep trying to use radeon, or should I just go back ahead and put radeonhd back on? And which instructions should I follow so that I'm not constantly fixing my xorg and starting over?

I need something that's pretty stupid proof. I can figure out how to put all the commands in, but every guide I've used has led me straight to failure. I just don't got it.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Quote Originally Posted by JooJooBean View Post
    Okay, I've been trying to do it all by myself, and I've been failing miserably when the directions make it stupid-proof.

Well, I've broken the stupid-proofness.

Anyway, I have the HD 4670. I know there's radeon and radeonhd. I've read guides saying to install radeon. I've done the ppas, tried installing through the git, and compiling. Heck, I don't even know what I'm really talking about. At the end of the day, I've been getting the black screen of death over and over.

My linux-kernel is the latest that's out though. I did that right, at least.

Two weeks ago, I managed to get radeonhd to work. I had no compiz support or any other desktop features, and then I randomly had blue lines going vertically across my screen, whether I'm booting or in gnome. I heard updating to 2.6.33-rc3 fixes that, but nothing has changed on my end.

So the question. What guide should I follow. Should I keep trying to use radeon, or should I just go back ahead and put radeonhd back on? And which instructions should I follow so that I'm not constantly fixing my xorg and starting over?

I need something that's pretty stupid proof. I can figure out how to put all the commands in, but every guide I've used has led me straight to failure. I just don't got it.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    the easyest way to get mesa7.7+radeon is to install the ubuntu lucid alpfa!

the easyest way to get mesa7.8+kms+ogl2 is to install xorg-edgers to the ubuntu lucid 10.04!

Okay, so I got things up and running.

Only problem is, I have blue noise all over my screen. It wasn't like this when I put the card in the machine and got it up and working the first time. Then, suddenly, I have 4 or 5 vertical lines worth of blue noise. Goes away when I put a mouse over it, but whenever I'm looking at something black, I see nothing but the blue pixel noise. Kind of annoying.

I know it's the card. I put other monitors on and I get the same problem.

Happens on boot up now too.

Any fix for that? Something wrong with my card?