Thread: Roadmap for accelerated video support?

Default Roadmap for accelerated video support?

Is there any real effort or roadmap for accelerated video on the open source driver?

I thought AMD employee Cooper Yuan was working on some kind of shader based XvMC implementation, but I haven't seen any actual code of that and on the radeonfeature page it's still marked as todo. So I don't know really.

Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    I thought AMD employee Cooper Yuan was working on some kind of shader based XvMC implementation, but I haven't seen any actual code of that and on the radeonfeature page it's still marked as todo. So I don't know really.
    i think amd's first is support evergreen second ist galium3D new BASE and next is ogl3 and then video acceleration.

Since decode acceleration is most likely to be built over Gallium3D the roadmap is pretty simple - Gallium3D followed by decode acceleration, with a bit of overlap to improve the chances of everything working together at the end. Cooper was doing some of that "overlap" work.

Evergreen support is really a parallel task rather than being "ahead" of anything else, and GL3 is largely (but not completely) independent since a lot of the work needs to be done in the upper level mesa code rather than in the HW drivers.
    Last edited by bridgman; 01-11-2010 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Since decode acceleration is most likely to be built over Gallium3D the roadmap is pretty obvious - Gallium3D followed by decode acceleration, with a bit of overlap to improve the chances of everything working together at the end. Cooper was doing some of that "overlap" work.

Evergreen support is really a parallel task rather than being "ahead" of anything else, and GL3 is largely (but not completely) independent since a lot of the work needs to be done in the upper level mesa code rather than in the HW drivers.
    "Gallium3D followed by decode acceleration"

thank you :-)

Indeed I was mistaken, there is some actual g3dvl work from Cooper in Mesa. Latest commit in Mesa dates from Nov 5 2009, since then he has been "off the radar".

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Since decode acceleration is most likely to be built over Gallium3D the roadmap is pretty simple
    I did remember hearing UVD would get a legal review... was it a plain "no", is it still in the pipeline or is there so much other more important things there like Evergreen that it'll never reach the top of the pile?

The review is technical not legal - the legal folks just identify all of the related agreements we need to avoid putting at risk. From that point on all of the work is intensely technical - identifying potential attacks to various parts of the system, with and without the information we plan to release, to determine the impact of those attacks on our DRM implementations and the additional risk associated with releasing the info.

We need to cover both the implementations we ship today and anything we expect to ship in the next few years, to make sure that we don't release information today that paints us into a corner two years from now, so it's a pretty complicated process.

Anyways, that review has not started yet. We definitely want to get Evergreen support out first.