Thread: triple head state of the art

Default triple head state of the art

currently, i run dual head using nvidia twinview, or amd catalyst. this works fine (nvidia performance is > amd) for everything i use, including compositing.

but there are a few issues...

- rotated display hurts performance
    - triple head using xinerama breaks compositing
    - unsuccessful using both nvidia and amd video cards in one machine

so... i am considering move to triple head or one really big monitor to avoid the headache...

thing is, eyefinity could save the day. but does it work with linux? and compositing?

thoughts?

Unfortunately i don't have any clear answers... I do want to follow this thread though...

One point of clarification -
    Quote Originally Posted by thehighhat View Post
    but there are a few issues...
    - triple head using xinerama breaks compositing
    Do you mean two video cards with three active heads? Or one video card with 3 heads?

I know there are issues with xinerama spanning multiple video cards, that's my current headache. I was hoping to be able to get around this by moving to a single video card with 3 or 4 heads... but haven't researched that move enough yet.

Quote Originally Posted by internalkernel View Post
    Unfortunately i don't have any clear answers... I do want to follow this thread though...

One point of clarification -

Do you mean two video cards with three active heads? Or one video card with 3 heads?

I know there are issues with xinerama spanning multiple video cards, that's my current headache. I was hoping to be able to get around this by moving to a single video card with 3 or 4 heads... but haven't researched that move enough yet.

Xinerama across video cards does not work with compositing. In fact, Xinerama on a single cards with multiple outputs does not work. (this does not include vendor based multi-head options like Twinview)

I think that AMD/ATI Eyefinity will do the triple head (+ rotation & compositing) job... eventually. So far, it does not appear to fully supported yet.