Thread: Gallium3D Feature Levels Plotted, Discussed

Default Gallium3D Feature Levels Plotted, Discussed

Phoronix: Gallium3D Feature Levels Plotted, Discussed

The last time we talked about Gallium3D work being done by Zack Rusin was just before the holidays when he was hacking on new geometry shader support. Zack's latest work on Gallium3D though is for defining "feature levels" that provides a table for what features can be supported by a given driver / graphics processor.The Gallium3D feature levels pair closely to DirectX version numbers and their capabilities, such as with regard to the availability of fragment shaders, vertex shaders, maximum texture dimensions, two-sided stencil, and other technical features...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Nzg3Mw

These seven Gallium3D feature levels also state which support OpenCL 1.0, OpenGL 4.0/3.2/3.0, etc.
    I'm pretty sure that OpenGL 4.0 doesn't exist yet...

Quote Originally Posted by King InuYasha View Post
    I'm pretty sure that OpenGL 4.0 doesn't exist yet...
    I'm pretty sure that for the purposes of defining these "levels", it doesn't need to actually exist. Since this is about defining classes of GPU features rather than the gory API details, it should be enough to know the basic set of new hardware features that will be added. This feature set is probably settled to a reasonable degree of confidence long before the standard itself is actually finished. Complex technical standards often spend a large chunk of their development period undergoing relatively minor revisions.

well saying OpenGL 1.4, 2.0, 3.0, 3.2 levels would probably be more accurate reflection of the current state of hardware. Or maybe he meant something like 'Shader Model 4.0' or something.