Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to have some better security on the forums

Angry Need to have some better security on the forums

Michael, there seems to be a lot of bots hitting the forums lately and spamming them, would you please consider implementing some sign up security to thwart these annoyances?

Here is another example with no doubt a few more garbage posts to follow:

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21419
    http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21376
    http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21338
    http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21296
    http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21061
    Last edited by deanjo; 01-13-2010 at 09:46 PM.

Problem is there's no signup security which can't be defeated by OCR or an office full of Chinese people on $0.50 an hour which won't drive away real users. 'Captchas', for example, have devolved to the point where it's probably easier for a computer to read than for me to do so; I typically have to make two or three attempts before I can work one out.

Quote Originally Posted by movieman View Post
    Problem is there's no signup security which can't be defeated by OCR or an office full of Chinese people on $0.50 an hour which won't drive away real users. 'Captchas', for example, have devolved to the point where it's probably easier for a computer to read than for me to do so; I typically have to make two or three attempts before I can work one out.
    Well there are some trends if you look at the spams,

1) they always start a new thread on their initial spam, make it so that creating a new thread on the first posts from a new user can't be put up until reviewed

2) since these are mostly bot signups have the signup process not accept a signup when the form is "instantly" filled from their macro's, etc. Usually with their signups are filled in all in one shot, something a human couldn't really do. Restrict it to the signup process has to take at least a minimum time such as 10 seconds.

There are other ways as well to minimize the effect, they just have to be put in place.

id tend to say its the Chinese, except that no profit is involved.

anyone know a reason behind the spam?

I hear that.

Dunno... I thought Text-chas were pretty effective at filtering out bots and still very accessible? They'll filter out everyone who doesn't speak english though, which might be a good and a bad thing. Good: Chinese wont be able to defeat them (as long as they don't speak english). Con: Non-english speakers wont be able to join the board. But seeing as how this is an english board anyway I don't think that'd be such a big trade-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhick View Post
    Dunno... I thought Text-chas were pretty effective at filtering out bots and still very accessible? They'll filter out everyone who doesn't speak english though, which might be a good and a bad thing. Good: Chinese wont be able to defeat them (as long as they don't speak english). Con: Non-english speakers wont be able to join the board. But seeing as how this is an english board anyway I don't think that'd be such a big trade-off.
    oh man. poor Qaridarium would be trying for hours and hours.

Moderators are needed, not CR systems.

You probably need both. Moderators are the only practical solution for human posters, but if you can keep bots and other mass posters out that makes the remaining moderator effort a lot more manageable.