Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: There's A Direct3D 9.0 Gallium3D State Tracker

Default There's A Direct3D 9.0 Gallium3D State Tracker

Phoronix: There's A Direct3D 9.0 Gallium3D State Tracker

In a Phoronix Forums thread in regards to a 2010 Linux graphics driver wish-list, a developer has shared that he has started a Direct3D 9.0 state tracker for Windows! Yes, where it would actually be possible to accelerate Direct3D 9.0 while on Linux when using a Gallium3D hardware driver. This state tracker called "nine" is not merged to Mesa master, at least not yet, but can be found in the ~jsindholt/mesa repository. The state tracker's documentation describes this Direct3D 9.0 ST as providing: What is this? An implementation of the C++ API as seen in Direct3D 9.0c. It's meant to be an easy and reliable way for WINE to emulate D3D9 applications from Windows on free platforms (though I believe the WINE devs don't give two shits about it), and enable users to more easily port their Direct3D 9 applications. What is this not? A binary compatible, or COM compatible implementation of Direct3D...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzkwOQ

Pretty good news indeed

Yes, good indeed
    First: How this is meant to be used. Only for WINE project?
    Second: Is there any thoughts that such state tracker may be used in win guests in some virtual machine, to accelerate win 3D on say..linux host.
    E.g. win DX9 st -> TSGI -> shortcut cross WM boundary to the host -> Linux Gallium HW driver -> Display.

Does it allow writing DX9 applications on Linux?

Will we see it on
    http://www.x.org/wiki/GalliumStatus

?

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    Yes, good indeed
    First: How this is meant to be used. Only for WINE project?
    It won't be used for the WINE project. I beleive that there are some technical issues, but also a big problem is that you can't get Gallium3D on most of the platforms Wine supports.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post

Will we see it on

?
    my guess is that, it will replace the part in wine that translates d3d calls into opengl calls.
    this will be interesting since we lose quite a bit of performance by translating everything into opengl.
    if i remember correctly bridgman said something about gallium achieving 60-70% of the fglrx performance.
    and with wine3d performance often dropping to less then 50% compared to windows this might make d3d games faster with opensource drivers compared to fglrx.
    that would be pretty awesome indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post

Will we see it on

?
    Just wondering, Why in the world would you want to write a DX9 application for Linux? Why not use OpenGL, which is much, much, much more widely supported?

It's meant to be an easy and reliable way for WINE to emulate D3D9 applications from Windows on free platforms (though I believe the WINE devs don't give two shits about it)
    what does this sidekick to wine mean, are I am wrong or do they work to get d3d9 stuff running under free plattforms? What do I miss or what could he mean with it?

Quote Originally Posted by blackiwid View Post
    what does this sidekick to wine mean, are I am wrong or do they work to get d3d9 stuff running under free plattforms? What do I miss or what could he mean with it?
    wine-devs have stated that they're not interested in replacing their Direct3D->OpenGL translator with a native aproach using gallium, because that would only work on systems running Gallium3D drivers. The majority of their users run the nvidia blob though, so that's what they're targeting.

Wow, these guys are really having so hard of a time coming up with useful things to work on that they have to implement windoze uselessness?

How about implementing GPU-independent video decode acceleration or something else that somebody could actually make use of?