Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compiz with FGLRX causes leaks

You can use glxinfo too, so no popups

I normally don't use Compiz, but I just gave it a try. Unbelievable fglrx eating memory away like crazy in 8 MB chunks! And indeed a simple glxinfo releases the memory. I'm sure this is fglrx at fault and not X. top nor xrestop show a user process growing in memory usage. cat /proc/slabinfo seems to indicate a lot of kmalloc-8192 objects being allocated (and released when running glxinfo).

And Im pretty sure it is not fglrx fault, I have found people with nvidia reporting the same problem... this is my script which I run after login

Code:
    #!/bin/sh -e

sleep 30

alltray evolution --no-alltray &
    gnome-do & 
    pidgin &
    pino &

while [ 1 ]
    do
    	glxinfo	
    	sleep 60
    done

return 0

I'll give it a try later with the OSS radeon and R600 dri driver.

Well, I'm using the OSS drivers with Compiz now (radeon ddx + r600 dri) and they don't exhibit this behavior at all.

So I stand by my comment: The problem lies with fglrx. Technically this may not be a memory leak or even a bug though, because the memory does seem to get released even without glxinfo after a while (at least here it did after some quick testing). Nevertheless taking away a couple of hundred MB of RAM like that is IMO very anti-social behavior.