Thread: Hating on Luxxy-Lynx

Default Hating on Luxxy-Lynx

Gents:

Running AMD965/MSI-gd70/9800gtx+/6G-crucial

I'm a modest polite sort of casual Linux-lusr ... so when LL_10.04 updates itself into oblivion for the 10-th time I would usually just pass-it-by. I'm thankful for whatever works.

But gawdblessamerica the latest CUP-ish update destroyed not only my printer config/connection ... but vaporized all system sound, trashed the VidCam and removed the <shutdown> option from my logout menu. That level of malevolent malfunction really is beyond reason.

A Kazakstanii black-hat performing such tasks would be drawn+quartered. So I think it's overtime to start truely and ruthlessly ...

..........HATING ON LUXXY LYNX 10.04.

Well, it looks like something has gone really wrong in the system upgrade process. I would recommend you to do fresh install of 'Lucid Lynx' 10.04.

It doesn't take so long time to do that

Quote Originally Posted by Xemanth View Post
    Well, it looks like something has gone really wrong in the system upgrade process. I would recommend you to do fresh install of 'Lucid Lynx' 10.04.

It doesn't take so long time to do that
    Yes ... that's the good choice. By accident/despair/desperation I ended up doing that 8.04 __> 10.04 swap yesterday evening. Fixing the hosed 8.04 graphics was quite beyond my meager admin abilities ... so I hit the **RED NUCLEAR BUTTON**.

It's older kit < asus_M2N / amd_5400 > but it runs over 4-G Crucial & the graphics is a newer nv9400.

Anyrate to make long/short excepting a hard_lock this morning nearly everything DLoaded/installed/configured just fine. WWW is there, email is there, HP1300 is there. Webcam & LM_sensors were missing; with sensors_detect I enabled the temps trivially.

Graphics are an interesting case ... the 1280x1040 resolution is present, clear and just fine for a 19" LCD. That's good. Since NV drivers were installed (170.xxx.yyy )
    but evidently not activated it's not clear what the (next) safe option is. Do nothing I say ... The graphics **activate** screen is busy, word_laden and perversely obscure ... it makes you want to chew skin off your wrist!. It makes you think obscurity not beauty is what CLI_folks believe **ART** is all about -- honest you have to see that lil' snarky b*tch to believe it and see how one screen can shut-down all human functions except breathing!

Anyrate nice engineering job Ubuntu/Cannonical in the automagically excellent UPGRADE process. Remember there are two (2) separate tasks involved. Like planting corn. Goodness sakes the-next-time please **find** a transition manager (title?) to search_out, engage ... chat with the serfs & peons before you run the tractor.

Has somebody said before that your text is really hard to follow

Default yes ...

Has somebody said before that your text is really hard to follow

My lecture students tell me I should just do derivations and problems ... and not try to explain anything.

But still ... the NVIDIA driver screen must be the **anthrax** of software medications.

So you don't have anymore problems with the nvidia proprietary driver and resolutions work ?

So you don't have anymore problems with the nvidia proprietary driver and resolutions work ?
    I honestly have **no idea** which graphics < driver/subsystem/software > or combination there-of is running the GUI display. The NVidia control panel does **not** encourage exploration, nor does it make evident what actions it current does/does_not perform. To me it's visual clues are NOISE!

So ... with an attractive & perfectly viable display ( whatever software is doing the work ) why should I mess-around and perhaps destroy it ?