Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Upgrading and Nvidia Graphics card

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    89

    Default Upgrading and Nvidia Graphics card

    On of my systems here uses an ASUS Nvidia EN9600 and am considering if it is possible to put something better into without breaking the bank. I find the perfomance of the 9600 quite good for what I am doing. Performs better than my Radeon 4870. What are the GtX260 or 275's like. Closed src driver is no problem but I do require antialiasing.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    On of my systems here uses an ASUS Nvidia EN9600 and am considering if it is possible to put something better into without breaking the bank. I find the perfomance of the 9600 quite good for what I am doing. Performs better than my Radeon 4870. What are the GtX260 or 275's like. Closed src driver is no problem but I do require antialiasing.
    My GTX275 hasn't given me any grief. KDE 4 is snappy as hell with no weird artifacts. AA works fine as well.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Purchased a Gigabyte GTX 260 Super Overclock. Installed into a ASUS P7P55D-E Deluxe. Nvidia driver 185.xx installed no problems compared with recent hassles with a Radeon 4870.
    Initial performance checks makes it appear to be WAY faster than the 4870 for what I am doing.
    Very good card me thinks at a quite reasonable price was around $240 Aus.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,634

    Default

    Why dont you use 195.36.03?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Two reasons,
    1: I knew 185.xx would work as I have had it going previously.

    2: I did not have a latter version on hand and to it get means driving 50 kilometres. So it means I need to think about going to the internet cafe in town when I leave and have yet ont been able to do that.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,634

    Default

    Offline pcs are really rare, maybe not in your case

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Offline pcs are really rare, maybe not in your case
    Not as rare as you think. There is still a fairly large number of systems out there that rely on dial up where downloading large packages like that can be a trying experience. In a small country like yours broadband maybe available everywhere but in a larger country dial up is sometimes the only option they have.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,634

    Default

    Satellite internet works everywhere. Wifi broadband is another way for outbacks. I prefer faster broadband however...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Satellite internet works everywhere. Wifi broadband is another way for outbacks. I prefer faster broadband however...
    Wifi isn't available to many people in North America and Satellite carries a hefty premium that many can't justify.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    You also need line-of-sight to the satellite, which a lot of people (like me) don't have.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •